Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Forum Suggestions, and Questions
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

For Sale Rules / Moderation - Regarding Thread crapping/comments

This has always been a part of the culture here, and things only really get cleaned up after a complaint is made.

I believe it's in the rules, but everyone seems to think it is their god given right to post negative comments on other people's for sale thread, commenting and offering their unsolicited opinion.

Should we change that? or Just accept it as the norm here?

What would it take to enforce the rules below:

-Stating that the item can be found at a lower price somewhere else is strictly prohibited. It is the buyer’s responsibility to do their own research on the going price for an item and not to publicly post differences in prices that may be found. Sellers are trusting Maxbimmer to be as supportive and as positive as possible. Being courteous and professional goes a long way. If there are issues with the price, or you have a comment that you think may start controversy, then please use private message (PM).

-Cross-linking is prohibited. Do not cross-link an ad to other sites. If you're going to post an ad here, then post an ad here. Ad otherwise will be removed.

Maybe a classifies mod is needed?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Those two things do happen an ungodly amount.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Point taken Tevor, great feedback. I think that deserves to be made more clearly and enforced. Admin comments?

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Word. I know I've said a few stupid things in peoples' threads, but when your time comes to try to sell something, you realize how uncool it is.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Or how about we have a minimum # of posts before someone can make For Sale posts? So people that get banned dont just make a new account time after time! SO many actual rules are broken in this section, i doubt moderators will have time to enforce it...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
^ I am on a forum that has a min before sale posts. Seems to work out well.

Same forum requires photos of the product for sale with the username on a post card too.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

I'm on a forum that has by FAR the best classifieds idea I've ever seen. Get this: no one but the OP can post in a thread in the classifieds!!! That idea is so much win I don't know where to begin. They also don't allow bumping a classifieds thread more than once a week.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I'm on a forum that has by FAR the best classifieds idea I've ever seen. Get this: no one but the OP can post in a thread in the classifieds!!! That idea is so much win I don't know where to begin. They also don't allow bumping a classifieds thread more than once a week.
I like that idea if there are questions it goes through PM and people aren't going to take the time to PM someone unless there is actually a little interested in what they are selling.
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

This is crazy, 22 For Sale threads, all with kijiji cross links....
Attached Images
File Type: png crazy.png (115.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Bliss
Administrator

Great feedback and great suggestions! I agree with you guys 100%. Our classifieds area is one of the largest BMW classifieds in Canada, therefore it's quite difficult to moderate at times.

I'm game to try anything that may work for the community, and to make it much more pleasurable to post an ad.

From the suggestions in this thread, which, if any, do you all think we should look into adding or changing?

1. Having a minimum post count before being able to post in classifieds section. (maybe 40?)

2. Allowing only the OP to post in his or her classified thread.

3. Adding another moderator. This one is a given, but if you're an avid user here, and are interested in helping out the community in moderating, let me know!

Lets keep the discussion going until we hit a solution that we can try out.

...Oh, and as for the last post, this member's classified posts were removed and a temporary ban was placed. Thanks T.Dot.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Personally, I'm on the fence about idea #2. Yes, it would eliminate thread crapping. However, I don't know how others feel about this, but I don't see anything wrong with positive comments in a for sale thread. In some cases it probably helps generate a buzz about the item, possibly leading to a better outcome for the seller (i.e. full asking price, bidding war, etc.). Having said that, I realize that threads being bumped because of useless (yet positive) comments such as, "if my mom bumped my allowance I'd be all over this," annoys the shit out of some people. It's a fine line I guess.

Other things to consider are sellers' inboxes being full (nothing more frustrating when you're trying to buy something and can't reach the person), and the loss of the ability to call out known scams/scammers.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
davericher20
black and blue

Theres more negative comments then positive, so im all for only the op being able to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I think all 3 are good ideas and should be implemented.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
BigD
the misanthropist

I'd volunteer to be a moderator but I'd ban 95% of the members
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Bliss
Administrator

Ok, so great news! We recently added a new moderator specifically for the classifieds section. Thanks T.Dot_E30 for your offer to help out!

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: