Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
cracked out
2nd Gear Member

what's a good turbo

Hey just want to know what's considerd a "good turbo"
Now a days.. Precision, gerett, teckniques etc etc etc..
What's the pros n cons .. Iv bin looking into precision turbos
and bin looking @ vids on youtube and I'm kinda impressed
cracked out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Precision, Borg-warner, Garrett are trusted companies in the turbo game and even manufacture oe-applications as well. All 3 are good and make solid products lasting thousands of kms...what'll decide how long your turbo lasts is if one it's sized properly(not over-speeding the compressor or surging/chugging), reasonable egt's, an adequate clean FILTERED oil supply @ the right psi, good plumbed oil return, waiting until the oil is warm before seeing boost etc etc....there are turbo's that last years and some that last for just a month...all comes down to how great (or not great) the turbo selection, installation, driving habits, oil used, oil change frequency and a whole ton of other things.

Sounds like you need to do some real research and understand things so YOU can select the right turbo that YOU want for YOUR application instead of basing your decision off some youtube videos....start with this:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...Tech%20101.pdf

goodluck!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Precision, Borg-warner, Garrett are trusted companies in the turbo game and even manufacture oe-applications as well. All 3 are good and make solid products lasting thousands of kms...what'll decide how long your turbo lasts is if one it's sized properly(not over-speeding the compressor or surging/chugging), reasonable egt's, an adequate clean FILTERED oil supply @ the right psi, good plumbed oil return, waiting until the oil is warm before seeing boost etc etc....there are turbo's that last years and some that last for just a month...all comes down to how great (or not great) the turbo selection, installation, driving habits, oil used, oil change frequency and a whole ton of other things.

Sounds like you need to do some real research and understand things so YOU can select the right turbo that YOU want for YOUR application instead of basing your decision off some youtube videos....start with this:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...Tech%20101.pdf

goodluck!
+1

As long as its sized properly and you make sure the oil supply will never run dry, or cook after you turn the car off... I've heard good things about Borg-warner and Garrett. Look at it this way they can't really be made bad or they just won't work, spinning above 150000rpm they would just explode, any oem one should be good, ied avoid ebay ones

Technology wise look for a ball bearing one that takes a external wastegate and has a ceramic turbine. They will require more to rebuild should it need it, but there's less friction and better flow
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
traffik
1st Gear Newbie

i mostly use precision turbo's, never had a problem with them. i love the 6262 its a great turbo. but you need to know what your goals are before choosing a turbo, because every turbo is different.
traffik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
spoolinturbo
1st Gear Newbie

Comp turbo oiless turbo ftw. No need for a scavenge pump anymore. I grabbed mine from a dealer for a wicked price. Billet and ball bearing.

Ive also noticed a lot of these being used on V8's in rear mount turbo kits. Might consider doing that also since I dont need to run a pump.
spoolinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinturbo View Post
Comp turbo oiless turbo ftw. No need for a scavenge pump anymore. I grabbed mine from a dealer for a wicked price. Billet and ball bearing.

Ive also noticed a lot of these being used on V8's in rear mount turbo kits. Might consider doing that also since I dont need to run a pump.
Uhh...not really ftw....I've already heard about 3 of these turbos failing on various BMW applications...all sent back to comp switched for regular journal and ball bearing CHRA's. I'll stick to oil fed/drained turbos..it is a great idea however if they have a longer service life..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
spoolinturbo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89 View Post
Uhh...not really ftw....I've already heard about 3 of these turbos failing on various BMW applications...all sent back to comp switched for regular journal and ball bearing CHRA's. I'll stick to oil fed/drained turbos..it is a great idea however if they have a longer service life..
Post up the links. I would be curious to know who has had an oiless failed on them.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...59&postcount=1

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=106

There are a few others but you get teh picture...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
spoolinturbo
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the info. Man I searched and searched for failures. Seen a lot of success with the oiless units but could not find any failures. I guess its the odd couple that might fail since QC is never 100%. Hopefully Comp got it sorted for the customers.

For me it was either the oiless or a pte unit which has way more than 2 reported failures. Decisions decisions, I still think im going to go slap on this oiless though. Saves headache and comes with a warranty. Thanks for the links again.

Last edited by spoolinturbo; 02-02-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: