Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
New Car Delivery From Dealer - Keys lost?

Hi All,

After what seemed like forever my dad finally bought a new car... not a bimmer ... an Acura TSX.

The car he purchased was a Demo Model (2011) and driven by an employee at the dealership. Upon delivery... after inspection... she tells him that the employee driving the car had lost the second set of keys however they are ordering a new remote/key at no charge and it will be ready by end of week.

Thats all good, fine... they'll replace it. My issue is with the fact that there is a key somewhere out there that will have the ability to unlock/drive my dads new car. I might be paranoid but after working in a crooked Acura dealership a number of years back I feel uneasy... they have his address etc.

Is there anything to be worried about? ?Or am I just overthinking this...

Thanks all, \

- Adam

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

seems a little shady that he conveniently lost the keys. that being said couldn't he just stop by a canadian tire and cut new ones if he really wanted?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

It might be an honest mistake, but if it was me i couldnt live with it!!! I have a friend who had his keys stolen at a gym locker, changed car AND house locks, but months later his car trunk was opened at the gym (only lock that was not replaced), so somebody was watching him! Make a BIG deal out of it, and get them to replace the locks. If you are paying all that $$$ for a new car, and its them who F#%ked up, they should make things right.

At the rate Hondas and Acuras get stolen, that car is just waiting to be picked up!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening mid June!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
blk3
4th Gear Member

honestly it does happen. the new key will be cut. they should clear the key code from the vehicle and reset them with a new program. if the old key was to be used the immobilizer would render it useless anyways.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
A~G
Car Payment Free

Thanks for the input ... I'm going to address it with the dealership.

My dad is at an age where he kind of looks past certain things, I kind of feel that its my responsibility to make sure he doesn't get ripped off.

I will update this thread with the outcome. See how good the dealership is about it

A~G

Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

No offense, but with how ugly those cars are, I would be begging to have it stolen.
On a brighter, more serious note, I would not take a car, from a dealer, with a random key out there.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
A~G
Car Payment Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
No offense, but with how ugly those cars are, I would be begging to have it stolen.
On a brighter, more serious note, I would not take a car, from a dealer, with a random key out there.
Ha ha... Terry you're terrible Reminds me of Kramer on Seinfeld "That is one ugly baby" just saying it how it is without any regard for the parents feelings. I guess the days of "having a filter" are behind us in society these days. Yeah... not my 'cup of tea' either but the car is legit. Given however, my dad will not make use of the bluetooth connectivity, hard drive, XM radio etc..... He drove Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes, Subaru's, Lexus's's bla bla... he felt most comfortable driving the Acura... so be it.

I'll have a talk with him about the key issue today

A~G

Last edited by A~G; 11-11-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

i have no clue how shady dealer staff are....not knowing this industry...i'd be putting it in the garage for the time being.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

The dealership should delete all the keys from the cars security and immobilizer system and only re-program the ones that you physically have, that way the car can not be started with any of the keys except the ones in your possession. Yes the car can be physically unlocked via key but there are only so many combinations to the locks... someone out there has the same key as you anyway.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I know with new bimmers you get like a few sets of keys.... Would't that be the case here? Acuras are still pricey... It sounds too shady.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: