Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
voluted
2nd Gear Member

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec discontinued in 215/40/17??

Does anyone in the industry know if this is true or not? I was looking to buy a set and my dealer told me the 215/40/17's, and a few of the other smaller sizes, have been discontinued. Say it isn't so
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Seyar
4th Gear Member

just got back from couple tire shops and they told me the same thing as well as 205/45/16's too.

INTERLAGOS E36
Seyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Check if tirerack has any and order them up, Falken 615's would be a good tire too
richie_s999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

No one in Canada can order star specs directly, unless they are going thru a back channel.

Tire Rack now has exclusive rights to sell them. Just because your local tire shop can't order them they are wrongly assuming they are discontinued.

Tire Rack still has then and they are in stock.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
davericher20
black and blue

^^This.

The tire shop lied to you and because of that you should throw a malatov cocktail through their window.
I would be sorely right pissed off if someone lied to me based on a biased opinion simply because they don't have access to it. So they are going to deprive you of one of the most amazing street tires ever made and hope to sell you an inferior product based on a lie.

**** that.

****in bastards.

**** them

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

They are *awesome* tires.. I'm running that size. Simply amazing, though a little slippy slippy in this weather.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
voluted
2nd Gear Member

It wasn't a tire shop I was talking to, it was my store's tire distributor that told me that. I guess i'll be ordering from Tire Rack next season and picking them up at the boarder. If I can't get them for cost it's not worth it to buy from a shop here; they are so overpriced.

I could try the falken 615's too i suppose, but i'd like to stick to what I know and love.

Last edited by voluted; 11-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voluted View Post
my store's tire distributor
Still a liar, if just indirectly. They (meaning everyone selling Star Specs in North America) are buying them at retail from Tire Rack and reselling them at a markup.

I moved from Star Spec to R-S3 and have zero regrets BTW. A little more daily comforts and easily equal on the track.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #9
voluted
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Still a liar, if just indirectly. They (meaning everyone selling Star Specs in North America) are buying them at retail from Tire Rack and reselling them at a markup.

I moved from Star Spec to R-S3 and have zero regrets BTW. A little more daily comforts and easily equal on the track.
Thanks for clarifying that for me Jay. I've considered that tire as well, however I would prefer to go with a tire size more in line with the OEM spec to keep my speedometer more accurate. If I get some wider wheels next year, like 8-8.5"s all around, would that make up for the increased size (225/45/17 vs 215/40/17 on 7" wide wheels), or is that not a big enough increase to affect the tires? I would likely have to get my fenders rolled by you to fit the rubber in the back too, because as it sits I have ~4mm of clearance . Also, the treadwear rating of the R-S3's scares me a bit considering I'll still be DDing this car.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
sproule905
6th Gear Member

So if I want to run these on the rear's of my M5 I can't? Or meet someone at the border?

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproule905 View Post
So if I want to run these on the rear's of my M5 I can't? Or meet someone at the border?
They can be shipped directly to your house and you can get someone local to install them. If you want to save taxes/shipping, then you can have them shipped to somewhere across the border and pick them up or install them there.

Check the tirerack website for prices (duh!)
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

I bought my star specs from tire rack shipped to my wife's work in Markham 205/50/16. I had a friend of mine mount them. The process couldn't have been easier and cheaper. Landed here in August I paid $765.00 everything in. That's tires, taxes, duties, brokerage fees, and shipping. I got quoted $1100 and up locally, which basically tells me they would buy from tirerack at the same price I paid and the difference is their markup. eff that shit.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

On another note, I have yet to find a better performing tire for the money. I've driven on dozens and dozens of different performance tires and these are one of the best. Few rivals. However, on the race track if you're a more experienced you would definitely want an r compound as I did put excessive wear on these at mosport in September. I was able to turn 1:46 consistently on these tires however which is really REALLY close to an r compound on my car.....that shows the grip they have, just it doesn't last, after 15 minutes of hard lapping they start to give up a little bit. RT-615's arent' even in the same league as these tires, only they are cheaper, so if cost is an issue????? I'd still go with the star specs.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
On another note, I have yet to find a better performing tire for the money. I've driven on dozens and dozens of different performance tires and these are one of the best. Few rivals. However, on the race track if you're a more experienced you would definitely want an r compound as I did put excessive wear on these at mosport in September. I was able to turn 1:46 consistently on these tires however which is really REALLY close to an r compound on my car.....that shows the grip they have, just it doesn't last, after 15 minutes of hard lapping they start to give up a little bit. RT-615's arent' even in the same league as these tires, only they are cheaper, so if cost is an issue????? I'd still go with the star specs.
In 2007, my third time ever driving Mosport GP, I managed to do 46s with my car, and I had RT-615s on stock 14s. Just saying... I'd say at the very least the 615K is in the same league. Admittedly, the 615 got greasy really quick, but the speed/grip was in them.

Also, for the first few AutoXs of '07, it was some of the funnest I've ever had battling Jay, with stock M20ed E30s, just different tires and suspension setups. He was on Hankooks (RS2, or RS3? Can't remember) and I was on my RT-615s. Usually it was pretty evenly matched.

Just my 0.02$

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Also, for the first few AutoXs of '07, it was some of the funnest I've ever had battling Jay, with stock M20ed E30s, just different tires and suspension setups. He was on Hankooks (RS2, or RS3? Can't remember) and I was on my RT-615s. Usually it was pretty evenly matched.
Some of the best motorsport competition I've had in my inexperienced life. I started '07 on 225/50 R-S2s and didn't love them. Transitional response wasn't there compared to the 205 RT-615 (and especially not the old RT-215) which I had run previously. Still though, just because Hankook had the balls to produce a 225 15" size I managed to keep up with you through raw lateral grip. If we had data acquisition I'm sure our speeds and lines looked like we were racing on different courses. Then I messed up everything by buying an E36.

Then again there was that first auto-x with said E36 (Aug 07?) when I set FTD on Federal 595s past Randy in the HPF M3. Randy and I both shaved 2-3 full seconds off our best runs for the final 5th attempt, which I don't think either of us could have hoped for. Absolute balls-out driving.

@John I saw the Solo 1 Nov 20 event, awesome idea. Get that event going next spring/summer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: