Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
skategoat
2nd Gear Member

2008 X3 quality thoughts?

A lot of these cars coming available off lease. Thinking about buying one for my wife. Preferably low mileage, certified series.

Any thoughts on overall quality? Any owners want to chime in? Where these made in South Africa or Germany?
skategoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
2k328Ci
1st Gear Newbie

Generally I believe they are reliable as any later generation e46 since they are based on that chassis (by 2008, most of the bugs have definitely worked themselves out already).

I think all e83 X3s are made in Austria at the Magna Steyr plant which has won multiple awards for their quality control. At least get them before the ones that are made in the US ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3

I bought my wife a CPO 2007 X3si and we love it. Her initial reaction was that it rode too rough for her liking (she came from a Honda!). However, she loves it after an initial week or two of getting used to. We drove a 2006 and it was so much worst, after the 2007 LCI (mid-lifecycle-facelift), the 2007 and onward X3s where much smoother riding than the 2004-06 MY.

If you're getting an automatic transmission, then this is the only thing I would be careful looking out for. I've read a lot of problems with the AT on the X3s and sometimes related to its "auto learning" abilities. Do a search online and you see that the general problem is that it hesitates when shifting up at times. Compared to my e46 coupe, its definitely not as silky smooth, compounded with a higher vehicle and rougher ride, it makes the problem more noticeable. If you're a heavy footed driver, you're likely to not notice the hesitation as it upshifts when you stomp on the gas. It's the lightfooted drivers (some women) that will notice when they lightly apply gas, the AT tends to upshift later than expected. It doesn't seem to affect all vehicles. But I have noticed that ours does "hesitate" or is slower to respond than expected - but nowhere near some of the horror stories I've read on the forums. There has been BMW service bulletins that address this issue, but it only seems to solve the problem in some cases - overall they don't think the problem exists. Sometimes resetting the AT learning resolves the problem for a short while. Anyways, I wouldn't let it deter you, I was really worried about it when I bought mine a few years ago, but its not really a big deal now (at least the AT we got).

Good luck. I love it because its the closest family vehicle I can get to my daily drive! It's also the only SUV that drives like a car so there really wasn't a choice for me. My wife grew to love it and now can't drive anything else.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
skategoat
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the detailed response. Can't decide between the Touring and the X3. A friend of mine who owns an X5 tells me the X3 has quality problems. Not sure what he was getting at.
skategoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
2k328Ci
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skategoat View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. Can't decide between the Touring and the X3. A friend of mine who owns an X5 tells me the X3 has quality problems. Not sure what he was getting at.
I'm surprised by that, since the X5 is manufactured in Spartanburg USA - I would think the US manufactured X5 would be the ones with quality problems. We loved our Japanese made '88 Honda Accord a long time ago and got another one right after (200MY) - but I didn't know they switched to manufacturing in South Carolina and subsequently, our last Honda was horrible, it was like driving a domestic! That's my biggest fear about the latest generation X3s - they've switched to the same plant as the X5.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
my mom has a 2007 x3 3.0i.
there was a little quirk once where the transmission went into limp mode. powered it off. turned it back on and nothing happened since. the motor had a loud ticking at one point also where it needed a part in the motor replaced, pretty costly i think. something like a hydraulic valve controller or something. usually happens when the car is on for short drives often. also might have been an issue since the dealership we got it from over filled the oil by 2-3 litres.

but otherwise it's been great.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: