Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

Need advice on a track car.

I currently own a 2005 BMW M3 and I don't like the idea of beating up my baby on a track all the time. My choices are buy a e36 or e30 m3 as a track car, or keep mine and just take it to the track. I'd think that with the e36 only having 240hp it would not do so well compared to my current m3. Any advice would help

Thanks
lucad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
E36 with an engine swap is a viable alternative if you aren't happy with 240hp.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

There's a lot more to tracking than out right power. If you're looking to be the fastest down the straight aways, then yes power is important. I had a friend with an e36 318is with down force and group n suspension that would turn a minute 45 or quicker around Mosport with street tires. A stock e36 M3 will run approx a minute 43. So in the turns that M42 was smoking the M3 but in the straights the M3 was getting it back. Just an example to point out how vague your question is. Also, do you have the budget to keep your E46 maintained for the street and run an E36 with all of the go faster goodies you will inevitably want to put on?

IMO, get an E36 M3 and leave it stock and don't worry about having the quickest car, if you know how to, or learn how to drive the wheels off of it, it is not that much different than a stock E46 M3 around tighter tracks like Cayuga, Shannonvile, or Mosport DDT. You'll only notice the power deficiency at big tracks like the Mosport GP.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 428i Maranello BMW company car
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

I do have the budget to be able to hold both cars. My daily driver a 09 cobalt isn't to bad on maintenance costs, my e46 m3 hasn't been that bad knock on wood. I am also aware that track cars cost way more to maintain. I have herd that tires and breaks that will take the most out of your wallet. I am new to taking the car on a track so I am not sure about the other things that will cost a lot. I understand the weight shedding and the mods, but as for maintaining how much annually am I looking at?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucad2 View Post
I understand the weight shedding and the mods, but as for maintaining how much annually am I looking at?
That's a very vague question, with no answer. Depends how many track days you're talking about, what kind of modifications you're doing.

Unless you're planning on getting into racing, just keep tracking your E46 M3.

Otherwise a "trackcar" is slightly useless. Just don't start throwing "track" parts at your street car. You'll ruin it in the end.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
davericher20
black and blue

I would track your daily driver.

Keep the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

What is your budget ? Why not a nice early 90's ex BTCC car ?
You'll be the envy of all !

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...ndeo_btcc.html
http://www.motorsport-sales.com/inde...oducts_id=2231

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

There isn't much "beating up" on the track, unless you mean on your wallet. And since you're looking at other M3s anyway, you definitely won't be saving money buying another car.

Track your E46. Maintain it well. Use OEM parts. Learn to drive.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Track your E46. Maintain it well. Use OEM parts. Learn to drive.
+1, unless you are planning on competing in regional races, stick to your e46. As Kurt pointed out a track car is useless otherwise.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
+1, unless you are planning on competing in regional races, stick to your e46. As Kurt pointed out a track car is useless otherwise.
+2

If I already had an E46, and a DD, and was looking to hit the track, i would stick with the E46. You can get your E46 track ready on half the budget it would cost to buy an e36, and get it track ready ontop of that.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Have you done HPDEs? If not, start there. Be reasonable and learn, and there will be no more chance of damaging your M3 than on the street. Then after you get a feel for it, if you want something dedicated which you can mod without worrying about its value or street manners, knock yourself out. BTW, don't look down on the E36 M3 just like that. Sure it's "only" 240hp relative to your 333 but it's also 240 ft lbs relative to your 262, and 200 lbs less weight. That translates into not that much performance difference at subsonic speeds (eg about half a sec 0-60). You'll have tons of fun with a stock E36 M3 with some track suspension and brakes and when you outgrow the power, there are many options which are documented almost well enough to be an IKEA step by step pamphlet.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
seankim228
2nd Gear Member

I would actually baby the E30 M3 and track a brand new car..lol (but then again I do love e30 m3s a LOT)
seankim228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'll just stick to my own car for now, I am still a noob LOL so I don't push my car as some others do. Maybe In the future ill but a e92 and then just keep this is my track car, But until I win the lottery, My e46 it is LOL
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

If your looking to gain some track experience do the trillium BMW clubs driving school on the sept 10/11 weekend at mosport, best school and best price. Learning how to drive on a track is the most important investment you can make.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
davericher20
black and blue

^^ +1, best place/only place to start imo if you want to practice good habits and learn the basics right out of the gate.
I did it last year and I haven't looked back, great experience and education, plus you get to drive Mosport! who the hell wouldn't jump on that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: