Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
bayerish 325
2nd Gear Member

Switching to non run flats, help please...

Hello,
I just got a flat tire on my 335i. The OEM Bridgestone RFT s have always made an awful lot of noise at high speeds and I might consider this occasion to change for non-RF tires.

According to my research, my only other option (size 255 35 18) for a run flat tire would be Michelin PS2 ZP.

Does anyone know about the Michelin or any other run flat tire worth trying on our 3 series?

Can I switch to a conventional tire (Like Goodyear GSD3 or Michelin PS2 non RF) although my car probably has sensors etc... ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much,

Last edited by bayerish 325; 07-24-2011 at 08:25 PM.
bayerish 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
crxgsr
BMW

There are a few, but they might be hard to find.

In 255/35/18 runflats, there are:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Kumho KU31
Pirelli Pzero
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS
Bridgetsone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2

The sensors on your car are probably not located within the wheels (most likely piggy backs off the ABS sensor).

Going non-runflat is no problem, just be careful in case you get a nail or something that you have a backup plan. (repair kit in a can, CAA, carry a spare wheel & tire, etc...)
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I have buddies with run flats that got rid of them because of the noise. They went conventional and installed a bottle of that green run flat solution to coat their tires instead.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
crxgsr
BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
I have buddies with run flats that got rid of them because of the noise. They went conventional and installed a bottle of that green run flat solution to coat their tires instead.
That's terrible. The green slime is only supposed to be used AFTER there is a flat. They will have vibration problems since the balance of the tire is greatly affected if there is liquid inside the tire.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

True. There reasoning was that it'll coat the tire evenly with minimal balance issues. To each their own I guess.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
crxgsr
BMW

I don't think it will work either.

You see when the "slime" is injected into the tire, it goes in as a liquid form, so that if there was a puncture, the "slime" would be able to flow directly to the hole (because of the pressure imbalance) and harden to a gel.

If the "slime" is injected without a puncture, it merely coats the inside of the tire forming a the "gel". If a nail were to then puncture the tire, the "slime" in the gel state might not plug it, since it cannot flow to where the hole is.

Kinda hard to follow, but essentially, the slime needs to be injected after the puncture.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
bayerish 325
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for you replies. I was very lucky to find someone selling the same set of wheels and tires. I bought the one wheel and tire and it runs fantastic (there was the same amount of thread left as my punctured tire).

Probably next season, I will have to switch to another tire. If anyone can give feedback on the Michelin PS2 ZP, I would greatly appreciate it.
bayerish 325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: