Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

Rebuild or part out

I have recently taken my car in for some bodywork and have realized it is rotted out and is sort of beyond repair. If i redo it id like to restore an e30 m3 and to do it the way i want im looking at an easy 20,000 dollars. I have been looking at the prices of e46 m3's and i cant believe how inexpensive there getting.
My dilema is: Is it worth spending 20,000 dollars to restore an e30 m3 or do i part out my car and pick up an e46 m3 for the cost of hopefully around 3-5 grand on top of my car pated out. I love e30's to death but im thinking it makes more sence to get an e46 m3. My dad has one and ive driven it a few times and it is an amazing machine.....
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
325iExecutiv
1st Gear Newbie

economically it makes all the sense to go for the E46 M3...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
njansenv
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iExecutiv View Post
economically it makes all the sense to go for the E46 M3...
I don't know about that... The E46 is still depreciating, and it might be a while before it goes up.

To the OP: would you consider selling the car complete? If so, PM me.

Thanks,
Nathan

Gone: '99 M3 vert, '98 M3 sedan, '91 E30, '89 E30, '87 E30, '91 Euro M5, '93 6-speed Corvette, STI v8 swapped '98 Impreza, '73 2002, 2004 325iT
njansenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
MrRWD
2nd Gear Member

The E30 M3 is probably the only BMW that is readily available and worth restoring.....

There are way too many E46 M3's on the road (sold like civics)...... very unlikely they will be collectible in the next 10 to 15 years....

Even the same for the E36 M3's.... not a collectible right now.... and won't be for along time... very very very long time.

... i wouldn't even spend money restoring a E30 as an investment...

a E30 M3 is probably the only one worth putting some money into it, if it's not salvaged...

.... however, a lot of restorations are purely because of sentimental value... or love of the car....

First... get several quotes to find out the cost of body repair. It doesn't have to be frame off... every nut restoration....

What's wrong with it right now????
MrRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

Practically yes, spend the extra for the newer; but collectively? the e30 M3 is a era frozen in time. Maybe take the e30 and part it out - use the extra money to put down towards one that is still in nice shape? Or, take all the goodies out and stuff it into a 325is shell and you have a nice custom built e30 that is tastefully done. how much could it cost to buy a e30 coupe or vert body and transfer all the stuff?

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 06-12-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Restore the e30 M3 and you won't loose your money but that's already said! I will take a nice e30 M3 any day over any other m3's Some e30 m3's go for crazy money.
misschigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

thx for the insight, the back quarters of the car are very rusted out. The body guy has told me its not worth repairing and it would be very hard to do so properly. Ive got alot of good parts and if i were to find a new body id like it to be an m3.I know the e30 will hold its value or even go up if done properly and i highly dbout an e36 or e46 will ever do the same there was way to many sold. I think id love and e46 but i also think id be very angry of i sold off the parts ive collected over the years, and all the work i had done last summer swaping in a s50b32. I was looking forward to driving it this summer after having it in the shop all last summer but ive since been told the body and even the swap are unsafe.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpellizze30 View Post
thx for the insight, the back quarters of the car are very rusted out. The body guy has told me its not worth repairing and it would be very hard to do so properly. Ive got alot of good parts and if i were to find a new body id like it to be an m3.I know the e30 will hold its value or even go up if done properly and i highly dbout an e36 or e46 will ever do the same there was way to many sold. I think id love and e46 but i also think id be very angry of i sold off the parts ive collected over the years, and all the work i had done last summer swaping in a s50b32. I was looking forward to driving it this summer after having it in the shop all last summer but ive since been told the body and even the swap are unsafe.
may i ask why you pulled out the S14? I assume to gain power, but why? It's an e30 m3!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
may i ask why you pulled out the S14? I assume to gain power, but why? It's an e30 m3!
He doesn't have an E30 M3

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
misschigga
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
He doesn't have an E30 M3
Thought you were cleaning the shop and the M1!!!!! huh??
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschigga View Post
Thought you were cleaning the shop and the M1!!!!! huh??
Am I not allowed to have dinner anymore? Sorry Mom!!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
MarkD
Banned

What is unsafe about the swap?

I'm curious about the body, was the rust not seen before you spent all the time and money on the swap?
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
damameke
6th Gear Member

If you really want to restore this.. check out those classic car restorers,
those shops can fabricate and do a better job, if money is no object...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

I always new i would have to do a little bodywork but i didnt think it was as bad as it is. As far as the swop goes the motor is shimmed up with washers in between the motor mounts, the tranny is sitting on an angle and after maybe 200km is starting to show wear in the driveshaft rubber joint. The pedals were way over kill and dont engage properly, one of the sway bars installed has come off one side in the rear. No one thought to mention anything about the condition of the body. I dont like to put people or shops down but my dads mechanic whos delt with e30's for 25 yrs said if he was anyone els he would call the ministry to take the plates of my car. I kno another car with the same setup done at the same shop blew a motor mount costing him a pole finish in a rally. It all has to be redone which is another reason to start fresh on new body and i thought an m3 has always been my dream so why not do it now while its all apart.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
MarkD
Banned

You are not "putting a shop down" by telling anyone where this shoddy work was done. Places like this should be mentioned so others don't go there. There are certain standards that should be followed when working on cars and garages seem to have no clue what is safe. It's too bad that Canada does not have a system similar to the German TUV, which controls what sort of aftermarket parts can be used to modify a car. I bet they say no "cable ties" allowed. You can find more info here:

http://nurburgring.org.uk/tuv/index.php
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: