Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Gamite

More i3 Megacity Vehicle Details

Youve no doubt by now heard about BMWs i3 electric city car. The tiny runabout, which will have a rear-mounted electric motor and batteries located under the floor, has been somewhat of a hot topic among both greenies and fans of the roundel. To the conversation we now add pricing and power information, thanks to a deep inside source in Mnchen. The base sticker will be around $35,000 and the car will boast 150 fully electric hp.

Those looking to add an i3 to their stable also can expect a 99-mile range, as well as a 100-mph top speed. Luggage room is said to be an unusually capacious 14.1 cubic feet, split between the space behind the rear seats and the frunk under the hood.

BMW plans on cranking out 40,000 units per year from the new Leipzig line built just for i vehicles, a big number considering the large amount of carbon fiber that is planned for the i3: The cars passenger cell will be made from the stuff. A possible wrench in BMWs plans is the relatively recent eight-percent ownership taken in SGLBMWs partners in developing its carbon-fiber techby none other than Volkswagen Group. Talk about awkward.

More details: The technique for mounting the floor-located pancake battery has been borrowed from the Rolls-Royce 102EX (read our first drive of that all-electric behemoth here), which says a lot for the cooperation among BMW Group brands. In conjunction with the whole i sub-brand and BMWs urban-planning initiatives, the Bavarians are working hot and heavy with Siemens on the advanced stages of a 3.6-kWh wireless recharging network to be rolled out this upcoming June starting in Berlin. It will then spread worldwide to whichever markets arent too scared about recharging things via voodoo magic, er, wireless electricity.

Source: http://blog.caranddriver.com/electri...60-mile-range/

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Not impressed with the shape. They should have made a modernized and slightly larger Isetta or something. This thing looks like a mini variant.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Not a fan of the looks of the vehicle, but for some reason, I like the sound of everything else the article talks about. Especially the wireless recharging. Sounds interesting.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
EV's are coming closer and closer to making sense. I'm sure this car will be good, bmw wouldn't be ****ing with it if they didn't think it was going to be good/profitable.

We'll see what kind of warranty they offer on the EV drive & batteries.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

If they get wireless recharging on the go it might be what sets them apart from all the other EV's on the market. Car parks could have charging stations and when you park there, it charges. In areas like California which are bound to adopt this tech quickly it could make certain super markets and stores very popular if they had charge stations on their lots. Very interesting stuff that one.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Mpellizze30
2nd Gear Member

i Forget the whole story but someone invented wireless electricity in the early 1900's. I saw it on a history channel program i believe. Its amazing it has taken this long to get it going, i guess they cant make money on it so they kept it under wraps until now. But im sure they'll figure out how to charge for it! Sadly electric power is the way of the future and i guess im glad bmw is getting into it but it still looks weird and i hope they can adapt it to the regular line of body's.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^its not hard to transfer small amounts of electricity (magnetism). A EV's charge can pull as much as 35A, which can be dangerous to just beam through the air (rougly 2X the amount of power in a household outlet)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: