Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

where to buy paint

Need to paint the front clip of my car. The bumper is the harder part, since it has lots of chips. Was told high build primer is the way to go here, but can only get it in gallons which is way too much.

Also need base/clear. Again clear only comes in gallons.... wtf ?

Anyone know where you can buy less than a gallon of both clear and primer ?

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
simplycars
6th Gear Member

c-max from napa can sell you different quantities - high build primer is avail in spray form
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
simplycars
6th Gear Member

also plastic will require flex additive - expensive
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
4doors
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Need to paint the front clip of my car. The bumper is the harder part, since it has lots of chips. Was told high build primer is the way to go here, but can only get it in gallons which is way too much.

Also need base/clear. Again clear only comes in gallons.... wtf ?

Anyone know where you can buy less than a gallon of both clear and primer ?

Dave
Try paint circuit. They'll sell paint from gallons to touch-up bottle size. The problem I have is I can't get a small quantity of reducer these days. I used to be able to by a pint of chromabase reducer. Now, with water-based paints, I can't. Is there anyway I can get a pint of reducer for Dupont Cromax?

You'd think you could use water for water-based paint. Guess not, at least not for Dupont. Hear it's possible to use water for Standox but can't buy that in half-pint sizes.
4doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Well, I've been told not to bother trying to paint with water based in your garage. Too hard to dry. Yes, reducer it the problem. can find everything else but in quarts or pints
Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
4doors
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Well, I've been told not to bother trying to paint with water based in your garage. Too hard to dry. Yes, reducer it the problem. can find everything else but in quarts or pints
I heard the drying is the issue as well. But for a cosmetic touch up, a small airbrush and a hair dryer might do. Have yet to try it though. I've done cosmetic touch ups before with a modeler's airbrush and it works okay for scuffs or scratches less than palm size.

I wonder why it's so tough to get a small quantity of reducer? Not economical to make such a small size? But a gallon is $100! How many pints in a gallon?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
DIY
Permanently Dirty

if you make it to Toronto, at Kipling and the Queensway theres a place called NCS (national coatings and supplies), they got everything you need for bodywork pretty much, and theres a place next door that also sells paint but I havent checked that one out yet... they will also mix a paint and put it into a spray can for you, although you cant beat a spray gun .... they also know their stuff so whatevery your paintin they'll fix you up with what you need to do it properly... and in an appropriate size.... although reducer prob wont come in a very small amount

Last edited by DIY; 06-02-2011 at 01:26 AM.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
4doors
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
if you make it to Toronto, at Kipling and the Queensway theres a place called NCS (national coatings and supplies), they got everything you need for bodywork pretty much, and theres a place next door that also sells paint but I havent checked that one out yet... they will also mix a paint and put it into a spray can for you, although you cant beat a spray gun .... they also know their stuff so whatevery your paintin they'll fix you up with what you need to do it properly... and in an appropriate size.... although reducer prob wont come in a very small amount
Paint Circuit is nearby as well!

I've only tried smaller guns, modeler size. Nothing big. My problem with the can is it sprays too little paint. It seems a little thin. With clear in a can, how many times should I mist it? 3? 4 times?

Last edited by 4doors; 06-02-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
dcramer
5th Gear Member

So the solution here is to team up and buy paint and split the gallon of reducer. Assumes we are buying the same brand of paint. But I'm in. Anyone else ?

Dave
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
4doors
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
So the solution here is to team up and buy paint and split the gallon of reducer. Assumes we are buying the same brand of paint. But I'm in. Anyone else ?

Dave
Sounds like a good idea but I want a run a test in the next week. I've heard it's hard to shoot water-based from an airbrush. I have a small sample of the 'controller' (waterborune's equivalent of reducer) so I'll try it and see what happens.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
DIY
Permanently Dirty

I've gotten a quart size reducer at the NCS place... Also I have a few friends who just used paint thinner (like the stuff from home depot) and came out with decent results, but I'm sure it depends on the paint

Last edited by DIY; 06-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Well I have been told that all reducer is the same. It is quite likely true. I guess it just evaporates anyway ??? Anyone have a definitive answer ?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
4doors
2nd Gear Member

As far as I know the reducer for oil based and 'controller' for water base are very different indeed. The reason for moving to water based paints was to reduce VOCs. The VOCs are caused by the reducer/thinner/controller. They'd have to be different, no?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
dcramer
5th Gear Member

no question these are different. The discussion was if you are using brand-x paint can you use brand-y reducer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: