Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Shipping to Ogdensburg?

I heard through the grape vine that it is possible to ship to Ogdensburg NY and avoid some of the ass rapage that is customs. I'm working in a shop in Cardinal ON next week and figured I'd be 20 minutes from downtown Ogdensburg.

Is this stictly illegal/possible/a good idea? Am I shipping to a USPS Store in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
ipop07
Spacers guy

Legal? Debatable, fair? maybe.

There are warehouses that allow you to ship to them and pick up. Or you need to talk to someone there and ship stuff to their house
ipop07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Of course its legal!

Have it shipped to the UPS store in Ogensburg. you will pay 5$ for a holding fee.

Then just make sure you declare on you way back and you shouldnt have any problems.
Chris916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
sb_600
5th Gear Member

^What Chris said.

There is nothing illegal about it, as long as you declare all your purchases at the border. You'll have to pay HST and depending on where the parts were manufactured, duty. What you will save on is brokerage fees and shipping charges.

The past few summers i've gone down almost every second week to pick up parts, and I've never had any problems (since i always declare).

Make sure that on your packages you include your name. I usually write UPS Store c/o Shawn Bernier
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
gravles
1st Gear Newbie

I do it all the time, Ship it to the UPS store in Ogsdenburg, they will hold it for up to 2 weeks i think, you can even check online if your package has been received... www.trackogdensburg.com. $5 per package. It is espescially good if you need tires from tirerack.com

Remember to declare everything to CBSA and bring your own receipts as most of the time there is none included in the box. Sometimes if it is small you wont have to pay duties and/or tax if the BSO is in a good mood...

I have done the round trip from west ottawa in 90 mins and saved hundreds of $$$...
gravles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
MBrown
2nd Gear Member

I always ship things here: http://www.corp-center.com/

Super easy, and right across the border!

18x8.5 MK Motorsport MK1's, BavAuto F+R Strut Braces
UUC System U Catback
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Soooo, a good idea to declare everything? Even all the itty-bitty bits of gaskets and shit?

Quote:
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
Soooo, a good idea to declare everything? Even all the itty-bitty bits of gaskets and shit?
Yes. If they find anything you didn't declare, you automatically get blacklisted for customs, and it will be a pain for years to come (as in they will hassle you). Just play it safe, and declare. You will usually avoid paying duty (they rarely make you pay that), so just HST on the stuff.

What gaskets do you need? I can get most OE stuff next day if it's available from my suppliers.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

My in-laws live in Cornwall, and I've shipped thousands of dollars of stuff to The Ship-It Shop in Massena. Less than $40 you don't pay anything, over that you pay tax. Never, ever had a problem.

What you're avoiding is incorrect duty fees which are rare, and huge private brokerage fees which are almost criminal.

Note that shipping from the US via USPS incurs NO brokerage fee; the brokerage is taken care of my Canada Post via your taxes. I ship EVERYTHING USPS now. It's sometimes cheaper than gas to pick something up, but often shipping to the states is free but Canada is terrible.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
MBrown
2nd Gear Member

Yep exactly, anything we buy online now we ship to Ogdensburg. Shipping within the continental US is almost always free or next to nothing compared to shipping direct from US supplier to Canada.

For some people it might be a pain in the butt to drive down and pick things up but we have business in Kemptville and are there probably a couple times a week anyway.

One quick piece of advice, DO NOT have someone pick up a package for you. If they look at the packaging and it has someone elses name on it its a huge hassle. A friend of mine had headers shipped to the border and another went to pick them up for him not knowing the actual value and severely under valued them. The CBSA found out and seized the headers for misvaluation.

18x8.5 MK Motorsport MK1's, BavAuto F+R Strut Braces
UUC System U Catback
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Ok, so declare everything. It's still good to ship and go pick it up in the US of A because you save so much money on shipping. (my huge order was free to Ogdensburg, and I'm driving down there anyways)

Quote:
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Jonesin
2nd Gear Member

I ship stuff to the UPS store there all the time. Like mentioned above $5 per parcel per week for them to provide the service, the address is 2981 Ford St. Ext. Ogdensburg NY 13669.
The sad thing is I didn't have to look that up...

Ed.

Useful links click HERE
Member of the Non-M Bumper By Choice Club
Jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: