Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Where to buy headliner material

I found someone in BC on ebay selling it, but it is 3/16 instead of 1/8. Anyone in Toronto or Kitchener ?

Dave
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
dcramer
5th Gear Member

OK most auto upholstery shops sell it for around 35 bucks a yard.

I did find it at a custom upholstery shop for 30

Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

How much do you need? I have about 3 yards of black headliner material that I don't need.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

How much do you need to redo the headliner?
Sunny87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
dcramer
5th Gear Member

depends on the width of the material. And if you have to do the sunroof.

2 yards if it is 60" material. The headliner is approx 46" by 55".

I have sourced some for $16.00 per yard. Black with 3/16" foam 60" wide. Ideally I'd like to find 1/8" backing but haven't seen any
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

I assume that means that you haven't bought it yet? I don't think i'll tackle the sunroof. I read over the install of the headliner over @ pelican and it seems fairly straight forward, but doing the sunroof seemed like an extremely time consuming task.
Sunny87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

It's ordered and on it's way. My sunroof is apart and their instructions are only good for older cars. Mine is a 98 and the inside part does not slide back as per their instructions, I took the cassette out and still struggled with it. Now I know how it comes apart and could do it in the car. You need to put it in the raised position and undo the 17 mm nuts from the back of the raised sunroof. You can get to the small screws in the front when it is raised as well. Then there are pins on the pieces that the screws come out of that have to be separated . I'll take a picture later.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
It's ordered and on it's way. My sunroof is apart and their instructions are only good for older cars. Mine is a 98 and the inside part does not slide back as per their instructions, I took the cassette out and still struggled with it. Now I know how it comes apart and could do it in the car. You need to put it in the raised position and undo the 17 mm nuts from the back of the raised sunroof. You can get to the small screws in the front when it is raised as well. Then there are pins on the pieces that the screws come out of that have to be separated . I'll take a picture later.

Ok added pictures you can see in the first one there is a hole where the screw goes and then forward of that there is a pin. If you look at the 3rd picture You can see where the pin fits and the adjustment for height where the screw goes.

The 2nd picture shows the shims for the back of the sunroof for height adjustment. Added that for completeness. Probably worth marking so you don't have to eff with it, since it won't be easy to adjust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunroof1.jpg (67.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg sunroof2.jpg (37.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg sunroof3.jpg (57.9 KB, 174 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
32styledTI
Ti newbee

i just started doing my headliner. im also looking for meteral, Im wondering what the black cloth 1/8" meteral would be called and where to get it?

fabric land seem like a good place to go??? Should I put new foam in or ???

Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
dcramer
5th Gear Member

the closed I found to 1/8 material was 3/16 it comes foam backed you don't need to put the foam in. Try auto upholstery shops they should have it, you also need to find a can of headliner glue.

If you can find some 60" headliner material you only need 1.5 yards, otherwise you will need 2 yards of 48" material.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
32styledTI
Ti newbee

I just bought this stuff do you think this is going to be alright..

the guy was all out of "3m - 80" adhesive

I still need to swing by and get some meterial. thanks for your input above
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
dcramer
5th Gear Member

it's the heat that is the thing. I didn't use 3M ... so a couple more things. Make sure everything is clean around. The headliner picked up every bit of dirt.

I did it in halves. The back half first. So I folded the material back over and left it on the front half. Sprayed glue on both the headliner and the material and then started in the center and pressed it down. I didn't cut anything including the hole for the sunroof until I was done. Knowing what I know now I would pay more attention to detail on the front half than the back since I never look at the back, and I made a few mistakes in the front

Good luck
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Guess I didn't explain the heat thing very well, whatever glue you use needs to be able to withstand the heat of the car in the summer with the windows rolled up. No idea what that might be, but look at specs on headliner glue to see if the stuff you have matches up.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
32styledTI
Ti newbee

I understand much more now that you helped explain it... Im anxous to get my meterial now and give it a try.. ill take a look at the back of the can and see if this is worth keeping or if i should take it back..

what sprey adhesive did you use if not 3m?

where did you buy it also?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Can't remember the glue I bought, but it was made for headliners. I got it at a napa store here in Orangeville.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: