Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
georgost
2nd Gear Member

Going shop rate for indi shop

Just curious what the going shop rate is for an independent shop. Also what woudl it be for a BMW delearship.

Just paid $150/hr at a local indie shop. Don't want to name names as I am happy with the service provided, but was just shocked at the price when I got the bill. Was in a jam though as it was my alternator and therefore couldn't really drive it up to Bimmersport or RMP (no CAA at the time - got it now though).

Thoughts?
georgost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
maranellobmw
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgost View Post
just curious what the going shop rate is for an independent shop. Also what woudl it be for a bmw delearship.

Just paid $150/hr at a local indie shop. Don't want to name names as i am happy with the service provided, but was just shocked at the price when i got the bill. Was in a jam though as it was my alternator and therefore couldn't really drive it up to bimmersport or rmp (no caa at the time - got it now though).

Thoughts?
being with maxbimmer, i get all members 15% off all servicehere at maranello bmw. So that would be about $112.17/h.

Just come ask for me 1st at parts (mike) and ill hook u up with a good service advisor.

*************WE SELL ONLY 100% GENUINE BMW PARTS*********
WITH MY PRICES AND A 2 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS, WHY WOULD YOU PURCHASE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!
******************************KEEP YOUR BMW, BMW!************************************
*COMPARED TO OTHER CANADIAN BMW RETAILERS

Monday - Thurs ** 8:00 - 5:30
Friday **** 8:00 - 4:30
Sat ****** pre paid parts avail for pick up from 8:00-4:00

DAN VOUTIER
MaranelloBMW
T-416.213.5699 ext 8075
F-905.856.6373
maranellobmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
georgost
2nd Gear Member

Wow.....wonder if he charged me more b/c I brought my own part.
Never going back there again
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
georgost
2nd Gear Member

Actually just clarified with the shop, tehy charge $108/hr or $150/hr if you bring your own parts.....WOW.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
blk3
4th Gear Member

usually i see anywhere from 70-100 an hour for an independant shop. usually a shop will add a little more if you bring your own parts. like charge an hour and a half for an hour job. 150 is really basically falling under that same concept. still a bit of money though
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
georgost
2nd Gear Member

Ok then. My ignorance, as I already knew they had a higher hourly rate (atleast $100/hr), just wasn't aware that when you bring your own parts, that rate likley jumps.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
CoEEzi
2nd Gear Member

wtf why does the rate jump if you have your own parts. you're just paying for labour.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoEEzi View Post
wtf why does the rate jump if you have your own parts. you're just paying for labour.
main reason is that people often bring wrong or damaged parts - shops order new / rebuild and they deal with the supplier if wrong part is received.
if customer has to deal with the their "supplier" then it only takes longer.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
cisco911
6th Gear Member

If a shop only charged labour and you brought your own parts, they would not be able to survive. The money they make off parts can be a significant part of a shop's income. That is why many shops choose to charge extra labour if you bring your own parts. The funny thing is that alot of times, you can get as competitive of a price from the mechanic or better than if you go out and buy it yourself.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911 View Post
If a shop only charged labour and you brought your own parts, they would not be able to survive. The money they make off parts can be a significant part of a shop's income. That is why many shops choose to charge extra labour if you bring your own parts. The funny thing is that alot of times, you can get as competitive of a price from the mechanic or better than if you go out and buy it yourself.
Don't kid yourself, indies will still survive.

The more I think about it if I had to pay $150/hr it wouldn't be too long before = http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

Last edited by MLue1; 11-04-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: adding comment
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Don't kid yourself, indies will still survive.

The more I think about it if I had to pay $150/hr it wouldn't be too long before = http://www.maxjaxusa.com/
So your going to go buy a lift...good for you. So your basically putting up capital so you can save money. A mechanic is putting up capital to make money. Thats how it works. Now do I think $150 is high, yes I do. However, anyone that is in business is there to make money, not save you money. If it works out that both can happen, then great.

Here's an example:
You come in with your car to do some work. Labour rate says it takes 10 hours to do the prescibed work. I know I can do it in like half that because I've done it a million times. I charge you 6 hours plus parts. You come in and say you are going to bring your own parts because you can get them cheaper. That is fine by me, but since I;m not selling you parts, why should I give you a break on labour? Now I'm gonna charge you 10 hours. I hope you saved more than that on your parts.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
maranellobmw
MaXsponsor

just a lil FYI

Its the same shop rate here if you purchase your parts from here, or you bring your own parts.

*************WE SELL ONLY 100% GENUINE BMW PARTS*********
WITH MY PRICES AND A 2 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS, WHY WOULD YOU PURCHASE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!
******************************KEEP YOUR BMW, BMW!************************************
*COMPARED TO OTHER CANADIAN BMW RETAILERS

Monday - Thurs ** 8:00 - 5:30
Friday **** 8:00 - 4:30
Sat ****** pre paid parts avail for pick up from 8:00-4:00

DAN VOUTIER
MaranelloBMW
T-416.213.5699 ext 8075
F-905.856.6373
maranellobmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Mardin
@__@

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranellobmw View Post
just a lil FYI

Its the same shop rate here if you purchase your parts from here, or you bring your own parts.

hahaha...
Mardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
georgost
2nd Gear Member

This was a fairly pricey part.....Water cooled alternator for an '03 540.
BMW wanted $1,600,
Indie old me $1,100,
After I told him I could get the part for half that, he dropped his price to around $950.
I bought it from autopartsway.ca for $596 + $160 core + tax. So basically $700 after they credit back the core.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

It's nice to come from a small town
Going rate for the euro shop here is $59 an hour......they have never disappointed me yet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: