Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

Clutch grab's to high?

When i release the clutch pedal and start going the clutch won't engage until I almost release the clutch pedal completely, any idea's? (newer clutch ~30 000km - 03 BMW 320i)
sol_searchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

With a face-lift sedan, I believe the clutch point is much higher than the pre 02's, furthermore you should be used to a high clutch grab if you own a A4. Is it slipping? Regardless of how many km's a clutch has, if someone doesn't know how to properly engage and disengage it, it could wear out much faster. If you bought this car used, how sure are you that the clutch was actually done?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

My A4 does not grab high it's very low , ya its the face-lifted one. It feel's like it grab's almost at the very end of the clutch pedal. The previous owner did not drive manual to well lol he did have it replaced though
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
blk3
4th Gear Member

sounds like he torched that clutch as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

That was what I was thinking but hoping I was wrong damn! lol
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

That's strange...both my b5's and my b6 grab high.. ones a 2000.5, 2001 and b6 is 2002. Higher than my face-lift 325I
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

I have a 03 A4 sport pkg, do you have the 6cyl or 4? For me it's the opposite haha
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

all 4's 1.8t
Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

Hmm weird, I'm going to make an appointment with either bimmersport or RMP get it checked out ! Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
CoEEzi
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure its toast? IMO in all e46+ (since I have never driven older BMWs) engage higher than compared to any other brands. There is alot of deadspace between the hooking point and fully pressed in position. What I did was I figured it out that dead space and put in a clutch stop, removed the cdv and now engagement is much faster.

Its nothing like your Honda, which pretty much hooks up when you let off the pedal.
Hope you figure it out.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

Clutch stop??? Never heard that before lol, Ya my honda's would hook up right away even the M3 hooked up quick. Can you explain to me what a clutch stop is and does? and maybe were I can get one lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoEEzi View Post
Are you sure its toast? IMO in all e46+ (since I have never driven older BMWs) engage higher than compared to any other brands. There is alot of deadspace between the hooking point and fully pressed in position. What I did was I figured it out that dead space and put in a clutch stop, removed the cdv and now engagement is much faster.

Its nothing like your Honda, which pretty much hooks up when you let off the pedal.
Hope you figure it out.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
fitter527
hates chrome

clutch stop +1.there is a guy on here who sells them for $12 i think.JetBlackE46.i found him on e46fanatics.
fitter527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

and just to explain my problem further, say you want to start moving you push the clutch in, start the car, then when i'm letting go of the pedal almost fully releasing, it grab's at the very end of the release of the pedal to move the car forward.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

i dont get what the problem is, just make a clutchstop and call it a day, u could have some super short pedal travel. Your car actually comes with a factory one, go behind your clutch pedal and you will feel a rubber circle pad thing. Unscrew that and you will find some threads, you will have to do a search for the proper thread pitch but basically what you can do is replace it wiht a longer metal replacement, either you can buy one online, pm me to make you one, or make one yourself. what it essentially does is restricts the amount your pedal travels before it hits the floor. You can set it up so that you have only a couple inches of travel after the clutch is completely disengaged, that way when u release the pedal it wont feel as high anymore. It is very common in the bmw community.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
sol_searchin
2nd Gear Member

When I'm releasing the clutch it doesn't actually engage until the clutch is almost fully out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: