Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
necie
1st Gear Newbie

new stereo or just speakers?

I have the original Harmon Kardon deck mounted Cd player...I'm not happy with the sound. Considering replacing the speakers with a kit from Bavarian Sound Werks. Anyone done this? Suggestions?
thanks,necie
necie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
simplycars
6th Gear Member

BSW is overpriced and you can get a great sounding system for much less using quality components.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplycars View Post
BSW is overpriced and you can get a great sounding system for much less using quality components.
What would you recommend?

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
headunit will give you an enormous bump in sound quality. BSW is nice cause its PnP. If you're up to rewire your car/amp, i'd go for something else (not bmw's strange 3ohm stuff)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
BMWDriver
1st Gear Newbie

I've been pretty happy with upgrading my head unit; made a difference because it has more power to boot, not to mention mp3/iPod integration. Added a subwoofer since then to give it just a tad more bass. Could be better with speaker replacement I imagine, but I'm good like it is.
BMWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
The-Traveler
2nd Gear Member

I would love the opinion of someone who has purchased the BSW stage 1 speaker set... as I'm in the same boat, and I know I don't want to do any speaker wiring.
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

I have the BSW stage 1 kit, but I only installed the rears (since nothing else fits because I have a 320i). Those rears + an Alpine head unit = heaven compared to stock. Our stock sound systems are truly awful (can't speak for the HK).

If the rest of the BSW speakers are as good, I can't wait to source new door panels and get them installed! The rears sound great, nice deep bass.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
signsmith
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, I was looking at BSW also, I have an '04 330..

I was thinking of changing the head unit like you guys were talking about, but isn't it tied into the car? I set my clock in my dash with my head unit..
signsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Bartacus
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signsmith View Post

I was thinking of changing the head unit like you guys were talking about, but isn't it tied into the car? I set my clock in my dash with my head unit..
Really? I set mine with the knobs on the cluster (trip odometer reset, etc). But then, I'm driving an older 320i with ZERO options.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by signsmith View Post

Yes, you lose some functionality swapping the headunit. You'll also want to keep your factory headunit in case you need to integrate your car with a GT1 (for diagnostics, disable DRL, etc) , it wont work without the stock radio

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
signsmith
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I think you are right! It has been a long winter.. I miss my car..
I am already forgetting how to do stuff..
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
signsmith
2nd Gear Member

Ok, got the BSW stage 1 speaker kit, and an Infinity Basslink II ... Now I just need time to install and I will let you know how much it improves the sound over the stock HK! I hope anyway...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
signsmith
2nd Gear Member

Installed the Stage 1 kit. Took about 1.5 hours total.. Easy fit.. I opted for the easy route this time because I don't have time to monkey around with finding speakers and making them fit..
Sounds really good, but I don't have a good direct comparison.. I tried to listen before and after, but got pulled away when I was just finishing up, and now can't say how much better it is!
I ended up finding a sub box from a friend, so the Basslink 2 is for sale if anyone is interested.. New in box, took it out and looked at it, then put it back in!
Paid $250 + HST, selling for $225 obo
I will post when I get the sub and amp installed!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
BenBMW
BMW Pure Blood

Send a message via MSN to BenBMW
I always thought of getting the BSW Stage 1 kit but it did seem overpriced. I'll have to do an actual comparison of buying the kit compared to buying all the same components (probably different brands though) of equal quality seperately. I'll try to remember to hit this thread back up when I do that so other's can see.

Lookin' forward to seeing the pics though. I'm tired of my stock setup.
BenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #15
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

I have a non-hk system and replaced all four speakers with 6.5 energy speakers from futureshop. The doors took some work but the sound is excellent imo.
If you are going to pay BSW pricing for speakers, you should also be taking your car to BMW for service.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: