Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

The end of my rope

Well, I think that I am hitting the end of my BMW tolerance. The car flunked emissions today (blew over on the NOX), and I apparently need a new center link. This is on top of the other issues (cooling system is due, rear ball joints, replacement of the struts after 50K kms, etc). Thinking it's time to give up the ghost before something really expensive happens again. I love driving it, but it would be nice to have a car where everything worked for once.
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Shitteh. Sorry to hear that P. I hate to admit but I've been feeling that way too. I keep thinking my E36 didn't need this much work and it had over 250k.

To do on my car:
Shocks/struts
tranny fluid change
Summer tires
possible rear main
paint front bumper, fix rust on trunk and lower doors
and I think my VCG is leaking again only a hell of a lot this time around

I've been eying a ginormous SUV in the last couple of weeks. A Durango or Expedition would be pretty awesome.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Damn, time to sell and get a something more reliable. Acura parts, especially TL can be really expensive, but I'm sure they are generally more reliable than a BMW.
Mind posting some pics of the E39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoe View Post
Shitteh. Sorry to hear that P. I hate to admit but I've been feeling that way too. I keep thinking my E36 didn't need this much work and it had over 250k.

To do on my car:
Shocks/struts
tranny fluid change
Summer tires
possible rear main
paint front bumper, fix rust on trunk and lower doors
and I think my VCG is leaking again only a hell of a lot this time around

I've been eying a ginormous SUV in the last couple of weeks. A Durango or Expedition would be pretty awesome.
Why is VCG leaking so soon again?
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Here is a pic of my Bimmer during better times.

I think that I might have sorted out the reason for my high NOx reading -- my coolant was low (I have a leaking expansion tank). This is one of the reasons I saw listed on my web research, so I might be able to coax a pass by changing that tank, or just topping up the coolant, and doing some stuff like cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. I blew comfortably clean on everything else.

I am going to look at a couple of cars today. I know the TL is more reliable than the Bimmer -- apparently the only thing that goes wrong on them regularly is the auto transaxle, and I buy manuals. And most of the hard parts on the TL are Honda Accord parts.

The problem for me right now is money. I have a bunch of bills coming up (all centred around my cottage) and some expenses coming up on my house. I need a car, but am having a hard time getting around my aversion to paying for necessities . And with my build, being a man-whore is completely out.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I think that I might have sorted out the reason for my high NOx reading -- my coolant was low (I have a leaking expansion tank). This is one of the reasons I saw listed on my web research, so I might be able to coax a pass by changing that tank, or just topping up the coolant, and doing some stuff like cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. I blew comfortably clean on everything else.

For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!

I see it all the time, not long ago a customer caused $1300 of damage by not changing a fan clutch!!! All could have been avoided (and he was told so!) with less then $100...

Some of the best cars i owned are high KM, but well taken care of; my 330 has 240K and my Expedition 430K, both super reliable!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
For a car to last, and be anywhere close to reliable, you HAVE to maintain it...When you have a leaking coolant system, i am scared to think what else was overlooked on your car!
I am frustrated with my vehicle -- I don't think that this gives you license to insult me.

I maintain my cars very well, thank you very much. It's just that maintaining it constantly, with other items needing maintaining as each one is fixed is getting to me -- hell, it's already gotten to me. With the amount I have spent on this car, purchase and repairs all in, I could have bought a pretty good new car. This has been BY FAR the most unreliable car I have owned. I have done the intake manifold gasket/valley pan job, had to get the timing chain guides replaced after one broke ($2300 at a labour rate of $65/hour -- 10 hours plus parts), replacing the cats, as well as shocks and struts.

Now I am facing a cooling system job, new centre link and tie rods, new rear ball joints (because if you're going to align it, make sure everything is tip-top) replacing the Sachs struts that gave up after 45,000 kms (free under warranty -- if I send them back to BavAuto to get a new set of Sachs ), on top of a couple of minor items. I don't have a garage, and I don't fit under cars easily. In parts alone, I am looking at roughly 25 percent of the vehicle's value, and that percent rises if you're looking to trade (one place I asked today said they wouldn't even take it).

So now I am thinking that maybe it's time to move on (I haven't decided yet, and money is a factor) to something that will relieve a serious source of stress in my life, and you're impugning my car care habits? I invite you, sir, to get bent.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbat007 View Post
Damn, time to sell and get a something more reliable. Acura parts, especially TL can be really expensive, but I'm sure they are generally more reliable than a BMW.
Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
zarbat007
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Say what in the who now?

Expensive is relative. More expensive then a similar year/make BMW? Highly doubt that. And yes - I have one, and I don't know. Know why? I haven't needed any parts!!

Definitely more reliable. Those who give the story about "the driving experience" blah blah blah are making themselves feel better. My driving experience is much better, however I do have a slight pain in the left butt cheek... oh wait... That's my money still in my wallet...
We've had to order some parts for Acuras before and they were fairly expensive for a glorified Honda. Plus, the V6 models have very little room in engine bays to do anything.
Don't get me wrong, I specially like the 2004+ TLs. Exterior is nice, beautiful interior, they are reliable. But by the end of the day, its still an Acura.
I still like my BMWs after owning them for a long time. But if I was to buy anything Japanese, I'd get bored with it after 3 months.

PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.

Last edited by zarbat007; 10-02-2010 at 02:59 AM.
zarbat007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
PS: "The driving experience" thing is pretty much true. I've driven enough cars to know the difference. If we wanted to buy something reliable, everyone in this board would have so many other options other than Euro cars. Even if we do pour money into these cars, we still love it.
So have I - From Ferrari's to Z4's to M6's to all kinds of Porsche's.

A 3 series BMW doesn't entrall me to the road. Now if you go higher, M5's, M6's, etc that different, but it's also WELL out of the same price range, so you'd expect different.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I'll agree with this statement -- BMWs are wonderful to drive, when they're right. The TL is good to drive, not great, but rarely breaks (save for the automatic transaxle).

The two TLs that I looked at were not perfect, but were decent -- they had flaws like any other used car. One had a troubling problem with the power windows, the other had everything working, but looked like it had scraped something along the right side -- a bit of a wow in the paint on the door. This was the dealer that, when I asked for a rough idea how much I could get for mine in trade, refused to take the car as there would be no money in it for them.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The E39's, especially the V8's are definitely costly when it comes to maintenance, my father has an M5 so I can understand your pain. Our 2002 530i has been pretty good to us though, it's around 160,000km and the only parts replaced so far are a front and rear sway bar link, a front right brake caliper, and a cam sensor. Recently though the power locks and power windows have been flaky, probably some accessory module that's crapping out. The M5 is only at 75,000km though and it needed the water pump done this year

Quote:
The Durango is a lemon (at least the ones in the early 2000's were) they were so bad that people were talking about class action law suits against Chrysler. Don't sell your BMW and buy one hoping that it's going to be an amazingly reliable vehicle....
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
I love my Expedition, but the cost of parts is just as much (sometimes MORE) then a BMW!!! Unless you have a purpos for it, fuel cost will make you cry...Even with the small V8, i'm looking at $10K+year if i DD it...

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

It would haul all of your BMW parts!

I have been eyeing an Acura TL or going the other direction and getting a Mazda3 (both used). They don't feel as "special," but then they likely won't feel like a never ending pain in the butt either.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
It would haul all of your BMW parts!

I have been eyeing an Acura TL or going the other direction and getting a Mazda3 (both used). They don't feel as "special," but then they likely won't feel like a never ending pain in the butt either.
I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
I did exactly that after my '99 323i cost me $10K in 18 months. Bought a 2002 Acura 3.2TL - Traded it 2 years ago for a 2006 Acura TL. Now I'm thinkin' of the new one! LOL...

NO major issues at ALL with my Acura's - Normal stuff like brakes, etc.

I have fun in my TL - it's nice having ALL the amenities. I have Navi/bluetooth/the works...

Go for it!

Deep
BUT i guess we have a better forum, for you to be hanging here so long!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: