Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Good Books to read?



Anyone read anything good/interesting lately? Any suggestions? What are some "must" read books? Im trying to read some of the "western cannon" books any good recommendations on where to start?
__________________

Last edited by sirex; 08-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,861
Christie Blatchford - Fifteen Days

Grounded in insights gained over the course of several trips to Afghanistan, and drawing on hundreds of hours of interviews not only with the service-men and -women but with their commanders and family members as well, Cristie Blantford creates a detailed, complex and deeply affecting picture of military life in the twenty-first century.

"This book will open your eyes to this brutal war and it is worthy of our brave young men and women. It is a tough book written by a tough broad who tells it like it is. I could not put the book down" - Don Cherry

"Fifteen Days resonates with truth... with context, texture and candour." - Rosie Dimanno, Toronto Star

"This is not a book about geopolitics, it's about soldiers and soldiering in the cauldron of combat, and equally, if not more, about the impact of those experiences on the families and friends left behind... Compelling, gut-wrenching and, unfortunately, real" - Major-General Lewis Mackenzie (Ret'd)

My girlfriend picked this book up for me because I applied for the Armed Forces to serve my country. This book is a MUST read if you agree or disagree with the war, it is truly about the people who go day in out to help better the lives of others. I myself have teared up on some parts of this book because of how real this book is. Truly a must.

It's only 22$, but one of the best 22$ you've spent on a book. Has many picture of the actual soldiers that have passed and some of the wreckage that they have endured.
__________________
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
"... It is a tough book written by a tough broad who tells it like it is... - Don Cherry
as annoying as Don Cherry is I love him for lines like this lol.
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
as annoying as Don Cherry is I love him for lines like this lol.
Ahahah yea, the book is intense. One guy gets a axe in the head, which really happened while he was talking with Afghan locals, others get a rpg launched at them while protecting a school that's built in Afghanistan.
__________________
HavocSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Have you read Johnny Got His Gun? Thats one ****ed up book.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,483
noy what you are looking for but if you havent read any i recommend Paolo Coelho.
All his books are good with the Alchemist being the most famous.
Just thought i mention it even if its nothing like what i think you may be after.
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Ya, Ive read that, infact I own a copy of it.

Personally I think it is a little over rated, but overall it has a good message.

I am into any book that has a good message.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
magnus
6th Gear Member
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reykjavik
Posts: 3,483
Have you read Veronica decides to die though?
Or 7 minutes?
He has a whole range of books with a hidden message.
I loved all of them!
__________________
http://pics.livejournal.com/blblblblx/pic/000r554e.gif

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,487
He came and left: The emotional journer of a cock sucker - John Cocksmith

Best book you will ever read, period. Or hey, this might be your autobiography...


Seriously though, if you want to read some funny fiction books based on real events just to pass the time and have a laugh, read the |Chelsea Handler stuff. It's hilarious.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
He came and left: The emotional journer of a cock sucker - John Cocksmith

Best book you will ever read, period. Or hey, this might be your autobiography...


Seriously though, if you want to read some funny fiction books based on real events just to pass the time and have a laugh, read the |Chelsea Handler stuff. It's hilarious.

looks like someone should read more ^^
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 11,033
jurassic park or congo

i dont care how old they are, those books are great
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR
 
DANIMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
jurassic park or congo

i dont care how old they are, those books are great

Michael Crichton is a hell of an author. Try 'Prey' or 'Timeline'. Although his work is really more 'fast food' fiction.
__________________
DANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers
 
nonlocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Not here...
Posts: 675
LOL at some of these suggestions when the OP said they were trying to read more of the "Western Canon"...

I'm sure history will remember the current-events-profiteering Afghanistan book where one dude gets an axe in the head as one of the greats of Western literature.

If you are really trying to read some of the Western Canon I'm sure you will get a better reading list from English Lit 101 course pages or wikipedia or whatever.

As for less canonical stuff from the last 100 years or so... heh... I've been re-reading Heart of Darkness. Not really one of my personal favourites but it does stand the test of time and stay relevant... and has some great passages.

I love Don DeLillo... Not his recent work so much-- although perhaps in 10 years I will realize how prophetic it is-- but the 80s and 90s stuff is without peer. I recommend White Noise as a starting point and everybody who isn't scared off by 800+ page tomes should read Underworld. Beatiful, beautiful book.

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is a really enjoyable read, and everybody loves laughing at school shootings, right?

I finally read Franzen's "The Corrections" and really enjoyed it too, for the most part. Really really touching at times, very funny at others.
nonlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
LOL at some of these suggestions when the OP said they were trying to read more of the "Western Canon"...

I'm sure history will remember the current-events-profiteering Afghanistan book where one dude gets an axe in the head as one of the greats of Western literature.

If you are really trying to read some of the Western Canon I'm sure you will get a better reading list from English Lit 101 course pages or wikipedia or whatever.

As for less canonical stuff from the last 100 years or so... heh... I've been re-reading Heart of Darkness. Not really one of my personal favourites but it does stand the test of time and stay relevant... and has some great passages.

I love Don DeLillo... Not his recent work so much-- although perhaps in 10 years I will realize how prophetic it is-- but the 80s and 90s stuff is without peer. I recommend White Noise as a starting point and everybody who isn't scared off by 800+ page tomes should read Underworld. Beatiful, beautiful book.

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is a really enjoyable read, and everybody loves laughing at school shootings, right?

I finally read Franzen's "The Corrections" and really enjoyed it too, for the most part. Really really touching at times, very funny at others.

read heart of darkness twice and seen apoc now.. good book and good movie.
__________________
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
2slow2race
6th Gear Member
 
2slow2race's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,411
if you like soccer,

i just read The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime by Declan Hill.

crazy book about match fixing in the world of soccer.
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015