Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

BMW Completes First Restoration: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi

After announcing the opening of the BMW Classic Center this April, German manufacturer BMW announced it completed the first restoration of one of its old vehicles. The first car to be restored by BMW is a 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi, a car who was handed back to its owner during a ceremony at the BMW Welt.

The modifications and repairs made by BMW to the 1972 model included the conversion of the car's four-speed manual gearbox into an automatic one. This was perhaps the trickiest work done on the model, so far only two prototypes of the model car fitted with such a tranny.

In the end, the 3.0 CSi got itself an automatic, transplanted from a BMW 2.8 CS. Aside for this, the BMW had to undergo extensive bodywork, technical and electronic tweaks and even interior overhauling.

“The successful restoration of the BMW 3.0 CSi shows that we are on the right track and that, together with our partners within the BMW Group network of facilities, we are capable of restoring vehicles to the highest quality standards and to individual customer specifications,” Ralf Vierlein, head of Sales and Aftersales at BMW Group Classic said in a statement.

BMW says there are currently at least 200,000 owners of BMW vehicles from earlier decades. Of course, most of them are in need of care, so BMW set up the BMW Classic workshop. Today, the German manufacturer plans to expand the special service into other countries as well, as a means to help old-Bimmer owners enjoy their cars for a little longer.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...csi-22612.html

I think that it's pretty cool that BMW is straight up offering a service like this. I wonder what limitations (if any) they have on the cars that they will restore.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
noid
5th Gear Member

AMAZING, my dream adventure: buy a Euro e30 and send it straight to bmw to restore to 100% original and factory fresh
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

LOL auto for manual swap. FAIL
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

^^^ its a classic, not a race car, besides the owner im sure is an older man, so its understandible why he would want something easier to drive.

I think bmw is one of the most dedicated auto makers in the world, they dont just build cars for today and tomorrow, but they stay true to their origins!

BMW ftmfw!

Jay
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

that is pretty awesome! I hope they open up more around the world, I'm sure that htere is plenty of interest for it.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

BMW could be the first automaker going after this part of the market, I can't think of any other car maker who is trying to set up a global restoration system, which will have them selling more parts, and continuing to service vehicles from decades ago, I want the Canadian or Ontario franchise!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
BMW could be the first automaker going after this part of the market, I can't think of any other car maker who is trying to set up a global restoration system, which will have them selling more parts, and continuing to service vehicles from decades ago, I want the Canadian or Ontario franchise!!
Yep, I can see big money signs for restoring E30's to factory. Not to mention all the little things that are pretty tough to get.

I'm hoping Ontario gets one so maybe later on I can get a really nice E30 that doesn't need to much and send it in
Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
I'm hoping Ontario gets one....
Don't hold your breath. The demand for this kind of thing probably won't be large enough for them to even have to expand outside of their current operations in Germany. The people that send their cars there send them with a wish list and a blank cheque. Not many people are interested in buying an E30 for a few thousand dollars and then spending $20k restoring the car to factory condition.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Dissembler
4th Gear Member

Quote:
In a slightly different way, I think ford did it first. If you flip through their classic parts/fordracingparts catalogue, you can order any piece of any significant model in fords history from the model t all the way up to the bronco of the early 70s (and I literally mean anythint, from control arms to interior trim even an entire frame+body!). They are using the original tooling and dies too!

There was an article about it in autoblog a month or two ago
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikole957 View Post
Don't hold your breath. The demand for this kind of thing probably won't be large enough for them to even have to expand outside of their current operations in Germany. The people that send their cars there send them with a wish list and a blank cheque. Not many people are interested in buying an E30 for a few thousand dollars and then spending $20k restoring the car to factory condition.
An e30 will cost you 20g I'm repairs over 5 years might as well do it all at once!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
B6T
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissembler View Post
In a slightly different way, I think ford did it first. If you flip through their classic parts/fordracingparts catalogue, you can order any piece of any significant model in fords history from the model t all the way up to the bronco of the early 70s (and I literally mean anythint, from control arms to interior trim even an entire frame+body!). They are using the original tooling and dies too!

There was an article about it in autoblog a month or two ago
Exactly. If you dropped off your beat up car at a dealer with a body shop and an open ended work order, you'd arrive with the same final product as what BMW did. The only difference is that BMW attached some clever marketing to it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
cornflakecwl
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
While on a completely different level than BMW, Ferrari has had this for a few years now in Italy and has been looking to expand to the US.
cornflakecwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Pretty sure BMW is behind the ball on this one. Mercedes, Porsche, and even Ferrari have similar Parts and Shop Services much like this. I think it's about damn time they started to support the older vehicles, as they haven't IMO in the past. Prices are still outrageous and you are far better off finding stuff from a private parts retailer.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Let's be honest.......... there isn't an E30 owner here on this forum that's going to use this type of service. No E30 owners go to a stealership for service because of the costs.......... and you think they would actually spend money to go back to BMW for a restoration !??!?!? E30 owners are the cheapest bastards of the BMW world (I don't mean that in a bad way, just relatively speaking as it doesn't get any cheaper then an E30). Recent E30 owner quote......."Why do body work when duct tape does the same thing........." WTF??!?!??! The only E30 that I can see going back for a factory over-haul, which would be not only worthy but totally awesome, would be the M3. But I'd hazzard the ticket would be sky high.

I've mentioned this before. I believe there are bits hanging around to build a new E30 M3 from the ground up. I know there are factory unpainted shells in someone's ownership in Europe somewhere, and a friend of mine had a brand new factory crated up S14 motor that had never been installed. Imagine that........ a brand new zero mileage E30 M3.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Yea I don't think people understand the costs associated with doing a complete restoration of a car that doesn't have an insane market place for replacement parts like american cars do. I imagine you could get into a brand new 335i for the cost of one of these factory restorations, so you've gotta be passionate and have the bank account to back it up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: