Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

Brakes / Suspension

my car = 99 323i with sport pkg with just over 230 000km

As my car has over 230km on the original suspension its time for a change. I am thinking of putting bilstein HD all around with HR sport springs. I am looking to keep the original height. Is there a better setup out there? Or should I go with the sport instead of the heavyduty?

I was looking at zimmerman rotors however I have come across a good deal on Xtreme crossdrilled rotors and hawk pads. Has anyone heard of Xtreme rotors? are they any good? they do come with a zinc coating?
champ0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0202 View Post
my car = 99 323i with sport pkg with just over 230 000km

As my car has over 230km on the original suspension its time for a change. I am thinking of putting bilstein HD all around with HR sport springs. I am looking to keep the original height. Is there a better setup out there? Or should I go with the sport instead of the heavyduty?

I was looking at zimmerman rotors however I have come across a good deal on Xtreme crossdrilled rotors and hawk pads. Has anyone heard of Xtreme rotors? are they any good? they do come with a zinc coating?
A couple of points:

The H&R Springs will drop the suspension 1.5" front and approx 1.2" in rear regardless of the strut/shock used. Bilstein HD would be quite rough; suggest Bilstein Sport vs. HD. But since you don't want to drop height; you can either replace with stock springs and shocks/struts, or go with a coilover kit that allows you to adjust ride height to your preference. You didn't mention budget; which is a conseration, because coilovers aren't cheap.

I prefer the lowered look and feel of my Bilstein SP and H&R SP setup: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=E46SPORTSUSP
If I wasn't driving an XI, I would have gotten H&R's Cup Kit. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...UCT_ID=31019-1

your call.....
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

suspension

Thanks for your advice, my car does have a sport suspension. Your car looks really good I do like how the front is lower than my car, I would prefer this look over mine. I will go will HR sport spring. Im only a .25" drop in the rear. I have 255/35/18 in the rear and I am concerned with rubbing. I have also read mixed reviews on sport struts being to soft and the car may rub. Have you (or anyone) expierenced this?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
A couple of points:
Bilstein HD would be quite rough; suggest Bilstein Sport vs. HD.
Why would they be rough? Sports and HD have the same valving.

Sports are made for a drop while HDs are made for stock springs though the H&R sport spring is so mild that HDs would probably still be fine.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader View Post
Why would they be rough? Sports and HD have the same valving.

Sports are made for a drop while HDs are made for stock springs though the H&R sport spring is so mild that HDs would probably still be fine.
Ya, but since he's looking @ the H&R springs, they lower 1.2" and specifically mention for lowered suspensions. H&R make a set for stock suspensions as well, but with the milage, the stock struts will likely not support it... (I know I tried initially)......

You may be right with the HDs, I was thinking race not HDs. Haven't actually ever seen someone use the HDs; see alot with Race and they always complain about ride comfort.
AA race FMIC and Diverter/Blow-off
H&R Coilovers
aFe CAI
& a few other goodies

nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

You may be right with the HDs, I was thinking race not HDs. Haven't actually ever seen someone use the HDs; see alot with Race and they always complain about ride comfort.[/quote]

If alot of people have the race and they complain about ride comfort why would you still be considering race and not HD? what is the benefit with sport over HD?

why can these things never be simple...

Last edited by champ0202; 05-19-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
arsevader
4th Gear Member

You guys are confusing springs with shocks.

Bilstein makes Sport and HD struts/shocks.

h&R makes Sport and Race springs

Both Sport and HD struts ride pretty stiff regardless of springs. If you want confort and performance then go with Koni Str.t or Koni Yellows.

The best comfort/performance struts are Koni FSDs but they are back ordered everywhere.
'03 320i
'96 Volvo 850R
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: