Goal: In 6 days (April 26th to April 31th) I would like to...
-Replace all the bushings (CAB, RTAB, sub frame) with poly bushings
-Install Ground Control coilover kit
-Install new(ish) control arms and tie rods
-Get new rims installed (not really relevant)
This is my first time working on any of these systems of the car so it should be interesting and a great learning experience.
Day 1: start around 1pm - finish around 10pm
-Got the car set up, since I'm going to be pulling the back end out I needed to support the car somewhere. I ended up supporting the back end of the car on the back seat floor pans using cement blocks . Not ideal, but I don't really know what other way I'd be able to do it. Luckily my floors are solid. Also the load is distributed over the whole surface of the block. Set the car down carefully and everything seems to be ok.
-dropped exhaust in one piece from manifold back. The only difficult part here was unbolting the exhaust from the manifold. It required working from the underside of the car using 2 6" extensions, a u-joint, and a good amount of force
-proceeded to drop the drive shaft out of the car and remove the vibration damper since it would interfere with the DSSR once I install the Z3 1.9 shifter.
-Took apart the shifter. Went to test fit the AKG DSSR on the stock shift lever and it was overly tight, checked the fitment on the shift rod coupler on the transmission and it was overly tight as well. Oh well, better overly tight than overly loose
. I just ground a few thou off of both sides of the shift lever and filed a few thou off of the DSSR for the side where the coupler goes and everything fit nicely. Installed the new shift lever with a new ball cup and the DSSR. Let's just say the shifter feels AMAZING now. It's very tight, there's no play, and the Z3 1.9 lever gives a nice throw reduction.
And that brings me to today. Hopefully I'll be able to drop the back end out of the car today without too much trouble.