Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
sooze30
1st Gear Newbie

front spoiler texture... and other noob questions

Ok, my 89 325i arrived last week in Toronto and I went to pick it up. First thing I noticed is that it drives like a tank - in a good way! I love how solid it feels. It's auto but it still is peppy - makes me wonder what the 5-speed would feel like. And I really, really wanted to open 'er up on the 401, but with all the Fantino fascists around and a dealer plate I couldn't risk it. It was just begging to be opened up...

So I did a forum search and came up with nothing on this question: do all the front spoilers have a bumpy texture on them? Am thinking this would be a good winter project: scrape / grind it all off and start again. The PO (previous owner) waxed it and there's still wax in the crevices and it looks crappy.

Also, how hard is it to find a good used 6-button display? (computer) I've been reading about the 13-button one and that is out of my range right now, but the display on mine craps out intermittently.

Lastly, who is the guy who runs Boxer2 in Mount Salem? I was driving through in my OTB (other than BMW) and saw a guy ahead of me in a blue e30 convertible with the top down. Thought this might be the guy who ran Boxer2 so I...uh...sorta...followed him for a while, but gave up. Was hoping it was him so I could stop and ask a few questions about e30s. Too much??

Anyway, it'll be on the road this week and I look forward to seeing you guys around!

sooze
sooze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooze30 View Post
So I did a forum search and came up with nothing on this question: do all the front spoilers have a bumpy texture on them? Am thinking this would be a good winter project: scrape / grind it all off and start again. The PO (previous owner) waxed it and there's still wax in the crevices and it looks crappy.
Yes, they all have this from the factory. But if you scrape it all off and get it painted, be prepared for stone chips. Chips rather easily, I had to get mine redone after two years once I had it stripped. That 3M clear bra/tape helps it last a bit longer, but it will still chip.

Quote:
Also, how hard is it to find a good used 6-button display? (computer) I've been reading about the 13-button one and that is out of my range right now, but the display on mine craps out intermittently.
Easy. Anyone parting a car may be able to help you. Common problem with the display freaking out, and/or separating so the numbers won't appear.

Quote:

Lastly, who is the guy who runs Boxer2 in Mount Salem? I was driving through in my OTB (other than BMW) and saw a guy ahead of me in a blue e30 convertible with the top down. Thought this might be the guy who ran Boxer2 so I...uh...sorta...followed him for a while, but gave up. Was hoping it was him so I could stop and ask a few questions about e30s. Too much??
Rene runs Boxer2. Cool guy, always parting out older Bimmers. Close to your area, so that would be a good parts supplier for you.

Post pics of your new car!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
sooze30
1st Gear Newbie

k, thanks for the info. I'll source out a newer computer soon.

Am thinking someone put on a new coat of bumpy texture stuff on the spoiler to mask chips and then repainted it. It looks too built-up. 3M actually makes a specific aerosol product for bodyshops (Rocker Panel Spray) that is paintable. So that will be a winter project.

It isn't even May yet and I'm talking about winter projects. Forgive me.
sooze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Brent
3rd Gear Member

I dealt with Rene, he is a good guy and very knowledgeable.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Brent
3rd Gear Member

i also have a 13 button display I pulled from a car in a junk yard...pm me if interested
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: