Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

I plead guilty your honour....

Got a ticket in Feb for 88 in a 60 zone.....proposed fine was $130 + 3 points.
Went to court today....reduced to $45 fine and no points....

Question: will my insurance go up even tho my points were not effected?
I have/had a clean driving record...

Hockeyfan27 are you around?
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It definitely negatively affects your record for insurance purposes. If your company has a 1-ticket forgiveness rule and you have no other tickets you're fine, otherwise, your rates will rise.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

My premium went up. no tkts.

Just a heads up.
You will all get your increases come renewal time no matter what. Our govt just gave The Insurance Beasts the approval to increase premium across the board. No Exceptions.
Vaseline Time
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Hi!

Points count for nothing in the insurance world. Our scale is: minor, major, serious, or criminal conviction.

Whether your rate will go up depends on your insurance companies rules. Some give you a conviction free discount (which you would loose with 1 minor conviction) others turn a blind eye until 2 or 3 minor convictions - then the surcharging begins!

Majors = instant surcharge. Even if it is the only conviction you have ever had. (ex:50+km/h over) and generally if you have a claim on your record, claim + major conviction (or 2 minors) = non-renewal. (for most standard markets, not the high risk companies)

On you renewal there is a 50/50 chance they will pull your record as it costs them $ to check. When signing a new policy it's 100% going to be checked.

And yes, rate increases were taken by almost all Canadian auto insurers this year.

1998 328ic - Sold

Last edited by hockeyfan27; 03-15-2010 at 03:48 PM.
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Coupedup
Reverse Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up guys and special thanks to hockeyfan27- the resident maxbimmer insurance consultant!
Coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Mine didn't go up - in fact they decreased at renewal...

(not talking about a ticket, refering to the "all insurance is going up" comment)
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post

(not talking about a ticket, refering to the "all insurance is going up" comment)
who are you with?
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:

(not talking about a ticket, referring to the "all insurance is going up" comment)
Sorry, I should have elaborated.

Just because most companies increased their rates doesn't necessarily mean your renewal will be more expensive. The increase will vary by territory. Your area may not have been affected or been hit as hard. (some territories get bumped 1-2% up, others will see 8-10%)

Also, If you; gain a discount (ex: graduated licence, multi-policy, multi-vehicle), turn 25 yrs old, get married (if you are younger than 25), or a ticket or claim comes off your record, your rate can stay where it was or even get better. Or at least your new discount will eat some of that increase for you.

TD Meloche Monnex specializes in group insurance. They have some competitive rates, but did have a rate increase this year, actually I guess it was in '09 Q2. So lets say "within the last 12 months". (I am assuming Meloche Monnex's rates are filed under it's parent company either TD home and Auto or TD General both of which took an increase, 3% & 10% respectively).

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=126347&page=3

I can only make general comments. If you want your facts 100% straight, call you broker, agent or company. Ask about the increase and how it will affect you. While you have them on the phone ask if there are any discounts you can take advantage of.

Coupedup - I'm happy to help. I take a lot more from Max than I contribute.

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

TD Meloche Monnex
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

TD Meloche operates separately from TD Insurance, so the rates are not filed under the parent "general population" company, from what I've been told.

I have had no discounts gained. In fact, we had a not at fault accident during this past year.

Basically, nothings changed - my rates went down. Not a huge amount, but about $5 a month on a $245 a month policy for 2 cars and house.

Deep
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Maybe it was a good year for your cars, claim wise. If you are interested, compare the vehicle rate groups. (they should be listed somewhere on your policy)

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
davericher20
black and blue

I don't care about insurance rates, but I got a ticket for 24 over last week. Now I'm gonna be up to 9 points.

do I plead guilty with an explanation? and asked for it to be reduced? If I have 3 priors will they not even bat an eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
steve.325i
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davericher20 View Post
I don't care about insurance rates, but I got a ticket for 24 over last week. Now I'm gonna be up to 9 points.

do I plead guilty with an explanation? and asked for it to be reduced? If I have 3 priors will they not even bat an eye?
I think (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that if you plead guilty with an explaination, you still get tagged with the points because the actual offense does not get reduced. They just might reduce the fine.

I would plead not guilty. It will cost you a day @ the court house but its worth it. You have a very good chance that they will offer you 15kms over without even an arguement.

Arrive early so the prosecuter can chat with you before the court session. Tell him you are going to plead not guilty because you don't think you were going 24 over.

He should then ask "do you think you were going 15kms over?" Then you say "yes I do". Then he'll say "would you plead guilty to 15kms over in a zone" & you say Yes I would".

Then you repeat the last part in front of the judge when it's your turn.

btw - I was with TD Meloche Monnex but then I did a online quote with The Personnel ... OSPE sent out a free $10 gas card offer ... & I saved almost $400 on two cars & the house.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

How do I read the vehicle rate groups? I see the numbers but don't know what they mean...
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
How do I read the vehicle rate groups? I see the numbers but don't know what they mean...
If you want, post the #'s up and I'll explain.

1998 328ic - Sold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: