Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Getting new 328xi on Sat...should I change tires?

Hey folks, got a quick question: my new 2010 328xi arrives on Sat and it comes with Summer performance RFT...given that we're running out of winter soon, I was wondering whether or not I could drive the car as is and buy winter tires next season...for a mth left, I wouldn't want to spend extra $ until next winter, unless it's a must...any thoughts? Thx

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Stephanie
6th Gear Member

I honestly wouldnt bother. Being that it's an "xi", you should be fine.

My boyfriend's dad has a 530xi that he just picked up this year too and he didn't bother changing the tires either (mostly just to test the performance to see if he could get away with avoiding winters...), the big snow storm this week was his first real encounter in the snow and he was just fine!

My pops has a AWD Benz too, never bothers to put on winter tires...

Just take it easy to see how the car reacts in the snow the first time around and gauge it from there... But I would wait til next season for snow tires (or not get them at all)...

And PS: congrats on the new ride!!!

Black Sapphire Metallic | Coral Red | Brushed Aluminium | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | PDC | Bluetooth
Shadowlines | Matte Grilles | Aero Lip | BMW Performance Pedals | Smoked Reflectors | LLumar Tint 40%
KW V2 | VMR V710 | Super Sports | BMS JB4 | BMS DCIs | HPF Intercooler | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC RK7 Shift Knob
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I drive an xi myself with all seasons on the stock rims for winter at the moment as they came with the car. I keep a set of 18 inch hyper black CSL's for summer

Next year will be snow's because frankly they are the best for the season xi or not. I mean come on dude its like $1k, if you cant float that without feeling a pinch you shouldnt be in a 2010

Just because you can slide by on them doesnt mean you should.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

If you were looking to buy used tires, now is a good time to buy.

If you were going to buy new, might as well await till next year.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Italia311
1st Gear Newbie

Congrats on new car.

I didn't put winters on mine and it isn't AWD. Its fine. Just gotta take it easy...
Italia311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockblock View Post
Hey folks, got a quick question: my new 2010 328xi arrives on Sat and it comes with Summer performance RFT...given that we're running out of winter soon, I was wondering whether or not I could drive the car as is and buy winter tires next season...for a mth left, I wouldn't want to spend extra $ until next winter, unless it's a must...any thoughts? Thx
I wouldn't be driving in this weather in summer performance tires, is that really what the car would be delivered with? You should look for some cheap used winter wheels/tires to use till you can afford something better. One small collision and you will wish you did.

Some of the other advice I see hewre is not very good.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
BimmerDriver
Estoril Blau Member

Send a message via MSN to BimmerDriver
Being it an XI I wouldn't worry about it handling wise, don't think you'd have trouble losing control of her. I'd be more worried about stopping distances which are dramatically reduced with snow tires. We're almost done the season so I guess you can get away by just leaving some extra space between you and the next guy
BimmerDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

I agree with the fact that it would be stupid to spend 50+gs on a car then cheap out on winter tires. Remember awd helps you with accelerating, not braking. So I would invest in new or even used snow tires, check kijiji!

Like Mark said, all it takes is one small collision for you to wish you have spent the 500-1000 on tires!

Jay
Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I'm not so sure that the majority of you read that it's coming with summer tires. If it was a non-sport on all-seasons, sure, go nuts. But on summers?

If you can't afford to work from home and/or find another way to get around on snow days, you HAVE to buy different tires. You will not be able to stop or turn in any reasonable manner.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
I'm not so sure that the majority of you read that it's coming with summer tires. If it was a non-sport on all-seasons, sure, go nuts. But on summers?

If you can't afford to work from home and/or find another way to get around on snow days, you HAVE to buy different tires. You will not be able to stop or turn in any reasonable manner.
Jay read OP's post. only logical advise...get the snow tire..

I have an XI and runnning all season .
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Rockblock
2nd Gear Member

Thx all for all the advise...I managed to convince the dealer to replace the summers w/all season...problem solved ! (unfortunately I couldn't convince him to replace the steering wheel with a sports one...)

Thx again for all your feedback !

Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
MTREEDAT
2nd Gear Member

I always found that brand new tires were always very good the first year......no matter what they were. I'm sure the first year they will stick in snow, but the second and third year, you're gonna have wanted snows.

It depends on the driver too.......I could drive most anything and it wouldn't really bother me but not what I would send my family out in.
'03 10th Anniv SVT Cobra a.k.a "Darkhorse" 454RWHP/503RWTQ
'12 Mustang GT 11.92 @ 115.3 mph 390RWHP /375RWTQ
MTREEDAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
chenx15
1st Gear Newbie

first off congratulations on the new beautiful machine. according to the weather network you will not need the winter tires anymore. but to be safe, i would buy them even if you just get used rims and winter tires. don't go cheap on safety the lesson can be extremely expensive.
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Daddy
3rd Gear Member

You people who have not driven the summer RFT's in winter are just nuts giving the advice. The summer rubbers on ice and snow are downright dangerous.

I have an xi and sure, it's easy enough to get going, but stopping is terrible. Any amount of snow or ice and the summer tires are like hockey pucks.

Personal experience. I have done it and have lived to tell you the story.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
LOL @ all the people in this thread advising that AWD will make up for snow tires.

how exactly does AWD make a car stop faster?

I run all seasons in the winter because they came with the car and I'm decent driver and I have a short commute. I wouldn't run summer tires because with some snow on the ground it quickly becomes as issue of not being able to stop.

If you're planning on driving this car next winter then why not buy some used snow tires / wheels now while they are cheaper (towards the end of the season)

Last edited by theblue; 03-02-2010 at 04:36 PM.
theblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: