Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Engine Detailing

So it's been years since my engine's been detailed. To be honest i'm kinda nervous doing it myself, don't wanna damage anything. Should I attempt it on my own?

I do every regular detailing myself (regular wash and wax including interior, not polishing with buffers and that heavy stuff), but when it comes to the engine it just seems like I could cause a lot of damage if I don't have experience with it?

If I should do it on my own, is there any tutorial I can follow or some pointers you guys can suggest?

I installed angel eyes in my car and have them running in the engine bay w/ ballasts (but they are covered with that wire tubing stuff) if that makes a difference?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Some will say they have done it for ages and no issues. Some will say they had issues after washing. Its gonna be up to you. I personally have not touched it.

If you do decide to do it, cover all electrical components and keep the engine running while rinsing.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
mclovin
3rd Gear Member

Just get a bottle of simple green and some rags to clean off the grease&grime in places u can see/reach. Then Armorall all the large plastic pieces and ur done.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
W2WDETAILING
Banned

i haven't used simple green i have used it before and i dont like that stuff. i use super clean(avaliable at wallmart/napa) dilute the degreaser 50/50. get to spray bottles, mist half of the engine bay then spray degreaser where required. wipe with shop towels. keep going over it sections at a time. finally once all the grease and crap is removed i use 303 aerospace protectant i spray it on and wipe it off. while i was cleaning an engine at a shop they said why arent you pressure-washing it blah blah blah. i told them its not good for the engine. they said its fine ect. i washed my jeep the next day decided to clean my engine bay. decided i would try spraying it down with water... 2 hours later started the car drove away and my abs and tcs light came on and stayed on for 5 min. i will never hose down an engine or recommend someone hose down an engine ever!
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

I've heard good things about simple green before also. I'll get either that or super clean (w/e they have in stock).

Now do I need a degreaser on top of that? Any generic degreaser or is there anything I should look for specifically? Guessing i could probably get it at Canadian Tire?

Just to clarify:

1. spray down the engine with simply green or super clean
2. wipe it down
2. dilute some degreaser with water, 50/50, spray the engine bay and wipe it down
3. shine it up with armorall or 303 aerospace protectant

The debate on spraying the engine bay down with water and a hose is enough to scare me away lol.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivetolive View Post
I've heard good things about simple green before also. I'll get either that or super clean (w/e they have in stock).

Now do I need a degreaser on top of that? Any generic degreaser or is there anything I should look for specifically? Guessing i could probably get it at Canadian Tire?

Just to clarify:

1. spray down the engine with simply green or super clean
2. wipe it down
2. dilute some degreaser with water, 50/50, spray the engine bay and wipe it down
3. shine it up with armorall or 303 aerospace protectant

The debate on spraying the engine bay down with water and a hose is enough to scare me away lol.
super clean is a degreaser.. and i have only found it at wallmart or napa. (cheaper at wallmart located where the car oil is. its a purple bottle)
after your done wiping up the degreaser you sprayed mist it with water and wipe it off to remove any excess degreaser. this method works very well.
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
The-Traveler
2nd Gear Member

Spraying the engine with water isn't necessarily going to give you problems. In my old neon I used to spray the hell out of it with that Mr.Clean carwash thing set on high pressure and it was fine. I must have done it a dozen times.

With the BMW I won't be doing that but a little bit of mist or regular water pressure from the hose shouldn't damage anything. There's sand and dirt that you need to remove that the degreasers won't desolve.
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

+1 with Zach's comment. When it comes to engine detailing you have to be weary of your process.

My process consists of mapping the engine bay into parts and tackling it similarly to the panels of a vehicle. I do not hose, pressure wash or rinse down the engine bay.

1. Cover all electrical

2. Lightly Mist the Engine bay with water from a spray bottle. I personally used a pressurized bottle. The mist is much lighter.

3. Mist your favourite All Purpose Cleaner or Degreaser. I use Power Clean and if the engine bay is not in horendous condition I use Optimum No Rinse. I let the solution dwell for a few minutes.

4. I aggitate with a detail brush, Daytona Wheel Brush, EZ Detail Mini

5. Spray down cleaned area with Spray bottle or Pressurized Bottle.

6. Use a damp MF and wipe the area down.

7. Dry everything up, spray 303 Aerospace or Optimum Protectant Plus and wipe access protectant off.

Oh and if you have clearcoated or carbon fibre engine bay covers those can be removed and polished as well That should be fun for you.

Have fun!
Nikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

Awesome write up there Nikku, really detailed and helpful.

Gonna try this out, doesn't look to bad. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Not a problem. Taking the extra time around the engine bay is key. Just be patient and I am sure you will attain the results you are looking for. If you don't just fire another question here

Cheers!
Nick
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
dbworld4k
Addict

How much would one of you detailers charge to clean up my engine bay? I'm too lazy to cover stuff up and do it properly, lol.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Hey DBworld,

As prices for paint and interior from vehicle to vehicle so does the engine. It really depends on the current state of your engine bay and the expectations you have for it.

Pricing for my engine detail service starts at $60 dollars. That is a guideline and is usually for a well maintained engine bay. Labour rate per hour is $45/hr.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. Whomever you choose to detail your vehicle make sure you are well educated about the process and that it falls in line with your expectations.

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Dont let degreaser touch the alternator. It will wash away the protective gel on the windings = FAIL. Other wise I haved power washed the hell out of my engine, dried it and wd40 most ele. components and good to go.
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

^^^Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should watch out for?

Took a quick glance at my engine bay today, didn't really see any electrical components which needed to be covered up? The main ECU box to the top right corner seems sealed pretty nicely, same with the postive battery terminal. Lol what am I missing here?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Nikku
2nd Gear Member

Use tin foil to cover your sensors, distributor, spark plug openings and any electrical devices. Some people use plastic bags but I find tin foil to mold to the areas much better and provide for a better seal.

Cheers,
Nick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: