Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to WesleyVocino
Can`t open door

I have a 2001 bmw 330ci. My remote key does not work, so I started using the key manually to enter and start my car, until I would eventually give up and get another key.

This morning it was cold as hell being in Quebec. The key hole seemed frozen and I had to force the key in and turn it with a bit of force. When it turned nothing unlocked. Either way I turn the key it is like turning in butter.

I had to enter my car from the trunk!!! Man that looked stupid!!! Everything unlocks fine within the car, just not from the outside. Anyone know what happened? Did I break something in my door?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Why do you assume you need another key, maybe it's the battery? Or maybe it just needs to be re-sync'd to the car.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=660142

Sorry can't help on the door lock issue, sounds like something broke.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Maybe, but that is not my problem right now. It is my door lock. I can not open my door manually with the key. Does anyone know what it can be. Could I have possible broke something while I was forcing opening it.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

I think I will just buy a new remote key. I hate opening my doors manually anyway.

If my current remotes battery is dead where can I buy a new one?

And to re-sync the key, I have to follow the steps that there are some posts on right?

Thx guys
Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

the key is going to be a bit pricey.. 180-200 range from dealership only. You'll need proof of ID to car. 10 days usually. Not sure if you can replace battery-that model may allow.
Dealership reprograms the key to the car from my understanding. unless there is another means?
As for your door lock -never force it!!
the cylinder sounds like it's spinning in the lock which means something broke free. if you haven't used the lock for a time and it's very cold - heat the key up with a lighter and then insert into the lock. that usually melts the ice inside and problem fixed.

good luck

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
convertible
1st Gear Newbie

Same problem - help!

Hi. It was below zero down here yesterday and I have the same problem.

My automatic fob functionality died a while back and I did nothing about it. I've been using the manual key entry method, but yesterday it was frozen. I heated the key and now the lock moves both counterclockwise and clockwise but nothing happens.

It's a 2003 330ci convertible. I can't get in. I am on vacation and just want to get home where I can use a my local guy to fix the problem.

1) how do I get in through the trunk? I opened the trunk and the speaker door (which is probably about 9" square). I was able to reach in with a long stick and put some pressure on the unlock button, but that didn't do it (turned in the hazard lights a few times though). Perhaps it was not enough pressure, or indicates a wider system problem...

2) Should I let AAA come and try to get the door open (I assume they use some type of slim jim.... will that mess up my door?)

- Pete
convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Hope my response in the PM helped Pete, you could call AAA, but he might have problems unlocking a BMW!!!

For the trunk, maybe it was made differently in 2003 because I can make it through, my whole seat goes down
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

200 bucks is better than changing the whole lock system, and at least I will be able to unlock my car remotely. Damn 10 days, I hope it dont take that long. A tech at bmw told me it takes approx 30 mins to reprogram the key to the car.

I dont think it will do much if I heat up the key. My key goes into the hole, just nothing happens when I turn it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

I went to the BMW dealer 2 days ago. A mechanic I saw there said to reprogram it before buying a new key. I told him I tried. He went in my car put the key in the ignition and did some magical stuff!

1 day later, yesterday, my damn key stopped working again, this time it will lock but not unlock. Called the guy I know at BMW, told him il just buy a new key, he told me it might not be the key the problem, and it might be a problem with the mechanism that unlocks the car.

So now I do not know what to do, buy a new key and hope it works, or change the door lock???? Damn this gets confusing!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

A key with a smoked battery or faulty battery could work intermittently. You can try to reprogram it to see if it consistently works. Keep in mind when you went indoors, everything warmed up. So naturally the problem may go away. once you hit cold again, as happened, situation got aggravated. To order a "new key" takes 10 business days. because it comes from Germany. special order item. why i suggested heat, was because ice may have formed inside the lock cylinder which typically happens regardless of whether the key goes in or not. If you don't have heated locks and sometimes with - this "might" be a problem. A new lock cylinder might be cheaper if you can do it yourself. get your buddy to price it at his cost and have him do it for a case of brew.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

I guess I could do that, but I want to use my electric key!!! LoL it hasent worked for the past 6 months. It actually takes 3-5 business days. I was told it comes from toronto.

Do you think it can possibly be the actuator or whatever it is that unlocks and locks the doors electronically, or you think it would be the key?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
ryju
1st Gear Newbie

Sounds like the general module.

http://www.bmwgm5.com/
ryju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
WesleyVocino
2nd Gear Member

Hope its not that, just bought a new key. Hopefully its the key, if not il have to buy a new GM5
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
ryju
1st Gear Newbie

Is your key diamond shaped?

Mine is not and I've had similar issues. The car will lock just fine but will maybe unlock 95% of the time. I ordered a new key and that didn't really change anything. The central locking button in the car acts the same way meaning it's the main locking system which ties into the GM. I can hear the mechanism clicking as I press the button but it just fails to unlock the doors.

Actually last week the key stopped unlocking AND locking the doors so I replaced the battery and it's back to normal. However the module I think still needs to be replaced or repaired.
ryju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
hamant
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyVocino View Post
I

I had to enter my car from the trunk!!! Man that looked stupid!!!

hahahahaha... thats awesome.. i wish i saw that
hamant is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: