Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
koncise
all you need is one mike
 
koncise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 3,545
Send a message via MSN to koncise
winter tire decision

Which of these should I go with? All prices include tax and M/B/I, expect the Nexen's, since that would be a private sale.


Pirelli W210 SnowSport $575

Hankook W409 $545

Nankang SV-1 $480

BARELY USED Nexen Eurowin 550 $300


Opinions? Or suggestions of something else in the same ballpark?
__________________
koncise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
They're all out of date now. The W409 is the newest, and it still isn't that good.

Look into the Sempert Speed/Sport Grips, Falken Eurowinter, and even the newer Nexen (Walmart sells it). Those are all good for cheap.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
koncise
all you need is one mike
 
koncise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 3,545
Send a message via MSN to koncise
I respect your knowledge of tires, but how can a winter tire be out of date? has snow changed?

oh, and where can i find the sempert's at a good price?
__________________
koncise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
You wouldn't believe how fast the technology moves. In the recent Consumer Reports one tire that was rated 14th out of 17 was rated #1 just a few years ago. So while it'll probably be a good tire in your mind, you could get so much more for the same money with a newer design.

Semperits are at Simply Tire and Tires23. The Falken is pretty much everywhere, I'm installing a set at Wheels Direct this week.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
pawcio
6th Gear Member
 
pawcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,606
^ i agree that technology is moving really quickly. at the same time its very likely that since engineering and designs are so advanced, the differences between 1st and 14th shouldn't be huge. otherwise you'd conclude that a few years ago all winter tires were crap. but obviously you'd want to buy the 'best' tire for the best price.
__________________
__

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
^ i agree that technology is moving really quickly. at the same time its very likely that since engineering and designs are so advanced, the differences between 1st and 14th shouldn't be huge. otherwise you'd conclude that a few years ago all winter tires were crap. but obviously you'd want to buy the 'best' tire for the best price.
The differences are massive man. Everything is relative, a winter tire from a few years ago IS crap now. The advances in summer and all-season technology isn't this ridiculous, but it definitely is with winter tires.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
pawcio
6th Gear Member
 
pawcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
The differences are massive man. Everything is relative, a winter tire from a few years ago IS crap now. The advances in summer and all-season technology isn't this ridiculous, but it definitely is with winter tires.
all i'm saying is a few years ago, someone would defend the top rated tire as being the best, having good traction in snow, ice, rain etc. the same thing now..obviously the 'best' tire is the 'best'

but you can't say that a winter tire from a few years ago that was #1 is no longer good at what it was good at. if it had good traction before, it has good traction now. obviously criteria changes or gets more strict but still.
__________________
__

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Fel
Not Banned
 
Fel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Schomberg
Posts: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawcio View Post
all i'm saying is a few years ago, someone would defend the top rated tire as being the best, having good traction in snow, ice, rain etc. the same thing now..obviously the 'best' tire is the 'best'

but you can't say that a winter tire from a few years ago that was #1 is no longer good at what it was good at. if it had good traction before, it has good traction now. obviously criteria changes or gets more strict but still.
I think that's the point though...

The "bad" tire didn't get any worse a few years later.... it was always that bad. We didn't realize how bad it was a few years ago because we didn't have the higher quality tires we have now. Now that there is a larger pool of tires available, it's comparatively worse than the new ones.

The tire may never have been good a few years.... it was just the best available. There's a big difference there.
__________________
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #9
rendered
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncise View Post
Which of these should I go with? All prices include tax and M/B/I, expect the Nexen's, since that would be a private sale.


Pirelli W210 SnowSport $575

Hankook W409 $545

Nankang SV-1 $480

BARELY USED Nexen Eurowin 550 $300


Opinions? Or suggestions of something else in the same ballpark?
Can't go wrong with Hankook Icebear W300's if you can find them! I've always had goodluck with those! Not quite as nice as my previous Pirelli W240Snowsports. I wasn't impressed with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2's I had a 4 years back.


I hear great things of the Falken Eurowinters! Mystical is right! I might give those a try this year.
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
Can't go wrong with Hankook Icebear W300's if you can find them! I've always had goodluck with those! Not quite as nice as my previous Pirelli W240Snowsports. I wasn't impressed with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2's I had a 4 years back.


I hear great things of the Falken Eurowinters! Mystical is right! I might give those a try this year.
W300s came in dead last, by a huge margin. It received a "poor" rating for snow performance. The next worst tire was 2 ratings better, at "good".

I had the Eurowinters mounted on the rims on Monday, hopefully tossing them on the E46 this week.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Hurricane240
2nd Gear Member
 
Hurricane240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Milton,ON
Posts: 197
Blizzak or Xice2... nothing else touches them for the money.

I prefer the Blizzak.

I have the Hankook W409 on my 3 right now.. doesn't even compare to the blizzak on any terms.
Hurricane240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane240 View Post
Blizzak or Xice2... nothing else touches them for the money.

I prefer the Blizzak.

I have the Hankook W409 on my 3 right now.. doesn't even compare to the blizzak on any terms.
It's hard to use the term "for the money", because they're the most expensive ones out there. Nothing else touches them when money is no concern.

The Xi2 is rated much better than the WS60. W409s are pushed hard by local retailers, but they don't do very well in testing.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Fel
Not Banned
 
Fel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Schomberg
Posts: 4,316
Any opinions on this set of tires..?


225-65-17

GoodYear Integrity - - $550.00
Hankook RH07 - - $660.00
Cooper CS4 Tour - - $680.00
GoodYear Fortera TripleTread - - $780.00
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV - - $830.00


For an SUV.
__________________
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Fel
Not Banned
 
Fel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Schomberg
Posts: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Any opinions on this set of tires..?


225-65-17

GoodYear Integrity - - $550.00
Hankook RH07 - - $660.00
Cooper CS4 Tour - - $680.00
GoodYear Fortera TripleTread - - $780.00
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV - - $830.00


For an SUV.
No input?
__________________
Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
No input?
I have so little data on those. The CS4 was rated pretty very good (well rounded in all the categories), and that's all I got.
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.