hey guys so I have decided I want to build a track car, I wanted something different that was going to be fast but not change the way the car handled with a heavier motor. My friend suggested I put the 540 motor in my car and I thought that would be cool as you never really see it being done. I decided it would be best to get the engine running in the car before I did any suspension or brakes, just incase the swap failed or what not. Anyways
Day 1: taking the engine out
we need to get the engine out of this and fit it in this!
Day 1: Fitting the engine in-
We put tried to put the engine in with the stock mounts but it sat about a foot above the hood. the problem was that the sump was mounted in the way of the cross member. we fixed that problem with a super low profile oil pan we got made with the old oil pan.
we also removed the stock oil pump from inside and decided dry sump was the solution to our problem with the clearance. I made an order for a bunch of fittings and bungs for the oil system which should be here monday so the oilpan will be bungless till then.
Anyways, back to the fitment of the engine. after fiddling around for a few hours we made the mounts. That engine must have gone in and out 25 times that day.
the mounts are slightly ugly, but they are strong enough to withhold an elephant stampede.
we also noticed that the headers would interfere with the steering shaft. so we had to mount the engine on an angle to fix this. this meant that we would also have to make a transmission mount. Heres what we came up with.
to our surprise, everything mounted up the way we wanted!
Thats it for today! should be more updates next week