Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Brent
3rd Gear Member

E30-What's it worth?

Hi Guys,

Ok, here's a funny one. A customer of mine has a 1989 325 4 door automatic. The body has some rust, around the wheel wells, on the sunroof, etc. It hasn't been driven in years, so here's the funny part-the engine has about 60, 000 km on it. That's not a typo, if it were newer it would still be under warranty lol!

Now I'm thinking that years of this thing just sitting there (it currently isn't running, although the battery is probably long gone, so I can't tell for sure), means that this car might just fall apart. What do you guys think?

He is thinking of selling, I told him I get some estimates on the price he should look for, any ideas?

I know that everyone will want to see pics, but for starters I'm looking for opinions like "if it has that few km's I wouldn't touch it, it sounds rotten" or "that engine is almost new, I'd buy it for $5000".

Thanks for you advice as always!

Brent
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
dexspeed
'87 eta ftw!

pictures would definitely help. a low km engine is good and great, but if it is already starting to rot bodywise i cant see this car being anywhere near 5k.
dexspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
325isStephen
Drifter

In alot of cases a high km motor that has been maintained is alot better then a low km motor that has sat. This is not always true, but going by the fact that the body is rotted, I wouldn't touch it.

Also, thats around the km's where alot of work will need to be done.
Such as:

- Timing belt as its likely original and I wouldnt trust rubber after 20 years.
- brakes, from sitting and having 60k on them
- More the likely brake and fuel lines which will be needed for safety

On the plus the interior is likely flawless, and if its a sport interior that would be quite desirable.

Personally I wouldn't pay more then 1000-1500 for a rotted body, especially if it is a base model. Enthusiast wise it's not to great of a car considering its an auto 4 door. Most people want 2 dr 5 spds.

You may find someone willing to pay more, but I don't think its worth more then that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: