Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

Diff between E39 Sport and standard suspension

What is the difference between the standard and sport suspension on an E39 528i. Looking at upgrading and thinking about buying replacment sports with eibach or H&R spings. Should swap right in no? Will there be a discernable improvement?
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
e39m_dream
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinkletter View Post
What is the difference between the standard and sport suspension on an E39 528i. Looking at upgrading and thinking about buying replacment sports with eibach or H&R spings. Should swap right in no? Will there be a discernable improvement?
Standard rides higher. Sport suspension rides lower and much more controlled while comfortable.

You should replace both the struts and the springs. Otherwise you will kill your soft struts with stiff springs quickly.

They should be able to swap right in.
e39m_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Auto-links
MaXsponsor

so here's a question,
I have the 01 with the mpackage,

if the sport suspension rides lower than the regular e39, and I go with a lowering spring will that drop be applied to the regular e39 or will it lower on top of my already lower suspension???
Auto-links is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

So it is just the shock and spring that is diff. I was thinkin the brackerty may have been diff as well. Good to know. Think I might buy a set of Sachs Sports and go with H&R lowering. Should be a pretty cheap upgrade.
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

My car is the sport version and its a pretty stiff ride. It also has the LSD. The "M" tech package or whatever is called is merely a cosmetic package.

regards
daveyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyto View Post
My car is the sport version and its a pretty stiff ride. It also has the LSD. The "M" tech package or whatever is called is merely a cosmetic package.

regards
Unless you have an M5 you do not have an LSD (assuming you did not swap it after)
Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

why is a LSD so important anyways?

regards
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
richmak
4th Gear Member

not to mean to hjack the thread ... I ordered the Bilstein Sport shocks and Vogtland springs for my E39 wagon ... vendor shipped the wrong shocks for the rear.

I have now a brand new pair of rear Bilstein sports for sale. In brand new packaging. PM if interested.

The fronts are the same for both sedan and wagon and I have installed just the front shocks. My rear shocks are still stock with the Vogtland springs.

Last edited by richmak; 05-20-2009 at 12:21 PM.
richmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
In normal driving conditions, you will most likely never notice any type of difference. With higher horsepower cars and increased wheelspin, the difference is much more noticeable. The once caveat would be in the snow, where there is increased wheelspin. In those conditions an LSD may be useful as well.

"The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some traction available on at least one of the wheels."
Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

ok. Well I just spoke to a tech at downtown BMW and they said that my car HAS a limited slip differential. There was another tech an in indie garage that said the same thing.

I will jack up the car as soon as I possibly can and check this out. Will get back to you. Thanks for the info.
Dave
Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
speedemn
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyto View Post
ok. Well I just spoke to a tech at downtown BMW and they said that my car HAS a limited slip differential. There was another tech an in indie garage that said the same thing.

I will jack up the car as soon as I possibly can and check this out. Will get back to you. Thanks for the info.
Dave
You have the same car as me... we don't have LSD... that is exclusive to the M cars unless someone did an aftermarket LSD swap (or M5 LSD swap) in to your 540.

Jack it up and spin one rear wheel... if the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction you have LSD (I think I have the test right here... )
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Another important difference.....

buy my 15mm rear sway bar to get rid of the wably rear end...

http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127788
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
///Mmm
Need an s85!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post

Jack it up and spin one rear wheel... if the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction you have LSD (I think I have the test right here... )
I think its the opposite, both wheels have to spin the same direction if you have an LSD.

Can someone confirm this plz!
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

thats why the dealer told me that my car had the lsd!!!

thanks M/// for clarifying!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
UP2NOGD
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mmm View Post
I think its the opposite, both wheels have to spin the same direction if you have an LSD.

Can someone confirm this plz!

You are correct.
UP2NOGD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: