Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

E39 Stereo Upgrade

Any sugestions on what to go with for my E39 528i. Not looking to spend major bucks but the lincoln Aviator I just traded for the E39 had a way better stereo and that just won't do. So what would be easy to install and work well. Head unit? Speakers? Amp to push the sub?
tlinkletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

I put a deck mounted sub in my E39 and love it. The additional amp was installed above the battery and the sub mounts directly to the rear deck lid. Clean install and super sound!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
europrince
6th Gear Member

ah, kids and their toys.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

You didn't find the deck mount left someting to be desired in the sound quality area? I'm more concerned with what to do for a head unit though. Seems to me to be the most complicated part of the install being the dash is not made for a standard DIN and god knows how it's wired in.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

The sound quality is awesome, no complaints. My primary objectives were to keep the factory head unit so the Bluetooth and MID functions would still work. I need to keep a useable trunk so this solution worked for my needs!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

Ahh see mine is a 97 so no Ipod, No bluetooth, No MP3 no nothing really.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

The stereos in the E39 are the worst!! BMW doesn't want you to do 2 things:
(1) Drink anything while driving (crappy cup holders / spillers)
(2) Enjoy music

I kept the factory system, but added a Bass-link sub by Infinity. It added enough bass for me, and made a 80% improvement. Also, the sub fits nicely in the hinged cubby on the right side. This way I don't loose any trunk space.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

Tell me about it. I put 500k a day on and those cup holders are driving me nuts. Thinkin about ordering one of the replacements on BAV Auto.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
commodore64
MR. Supercharger

It's even harder to upgrade the stock system in any DSP e39 series vehicle. I went to Kromer and they offered to do a complete system upgrade,

I was quoted 2300 , I just could not justify the costs so I ended up getting a DICE HD + Infinity BassLink system (used) perfect now and costed me less then 500 bucks
commodore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Mardin
@__@

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore64 View Post
It's even harder to upgrade the stock system in any DSP e39 series vehicle. I went to Kromer and they offered to do a complete system upgrade,

I was quoted 2300 , I just could not justify the costs so I ended up getting a DICE HD + Infinity BassLink system (used) perfect now and costed me less then 500 bucks
I have the DSP system too, did you do the install for the basslink yourself?
Mardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
tlinkletter
2nd Gear Member

Think I'm going to get a CD53 and then the DICE Hookup. Seems the most cost Effective. Anyone got any experience with BSW? I was looking at there underdeck Sub and it seems like a cool idea. How are their speakers for sound quality?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: