Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Pics of my newly painted Black Roof - E39

Right out of the garage...undetailed
[IMG][/IMG]

Did the detailing then drove it to the park right next to my house...
[IMG][/IMG]

Another park shot...
[IMG][/IMG]

Stopped by speedway for something besides gas...Drink..
[IMG][/IMG]

Back home 'shot through my screen window'...
[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think?

Think about that the next time you want to give up after 2 or 3 attempts...

Adrenalin540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
///tyron
4th Gear Member

i think it looks wicked. car jus needs a drop m bumper and some more aggresive rims to pull it off.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
I like!

is it just black paint?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Oyster

Ya it is 'just' black paint...not to simplify it...but
I had to take off the luggage rack rails (painted them too), completely tape off the sunroof...sand the entire roof, make sure all 'nicks' from rocks were out of the roof...primer, sand again, wipe down, wipe down again, and spray 5 coats of black, and then wait four hours, then spray 3 coats of clear, color sand, buff, and then detail the ride...

So to answer you q...ya just black paint...and clear...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalin540 View Post
Ya it is 'just' black paint...not to simplify it...but
I had to take off the luggage rack rails (painted them too), completely tape off the sunroof...sand the entire roof, make sure all 'nicks' from rocks were out of the roof...primer, sand again, wipe down, wipe down again, and spray 5 coats of black, and then wait four hours, then spray 3 coats of clear, color sand, buff, and then detail the ride...

So to answer you q...ya just black paint...and clear...
did you do this in your home garage as a DIY?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Yep in my garage

I didn't take pics along the way but I can describe it if someone is interested...not real difficult...just have to be good with sandpaper and a sprayer...

Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///tyron View Post
i think it looks wicked. car jus needs a drop m bumper and some more aggresive rims to pull it off.
+1
and a cf hood while your at it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Gamite

Was it hard to take the rails off?

Looks good, been contimplating it for a while.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Qube
5th Gear Member

Now need wheels, drop, front kit...

Gamite, you need to do it. It would look sick on the white beast

Qube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Gamite

how about you do it first,

Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Qube
5th Gear Member

Not on a silver e39 I'm still looking for that perfect Le Mans Blue or Blue Water E39 M5...

EDIT: sorry, back on track. How long did it take you in each stage of prep and paint?

Qube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Gamite

ew, blue water? that's the worst colour

Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Black roof By the Numbers..

First deciding to do it was the hard part...this is one of the types of mods that you can't just say I'll take it off...

So I saw some 'other black roofs' and headed to my local paint supply store...picked up a pint of OMNI Black... Cost $17

Brought my beast back home pulled it in the garage...

Took off the Luggage rack rails...just use something plastic and start at the back and pry straight up...just go slowly and they pop right off...

#1-Never sand on a roof with a bare hand...always use a Block!!!

Wiped down the roof with some regular cleaner like windex or simple green...then I wiped it down with acetone, let it dry again did the cleaner then yet again with water...you don't want to be sanding 'crud' or 'grime' into you new project...So CLEAN is the way to start, same with rails, and rail channels...

Hit the sander with some 400 took me about 2-3 hours...I was particularly careful around the rock chips...you have to sand them down to metal to get them completely out...

Took 600 grit to the rails to make sure the paint stuck...didn't primer them...600 by hand is the same as 400 on DA.

Shot one coat of high build primer over the entire roof...let it sit for about an hour or so...it was 90F here...

Broke out the DA again and hit it with 400 after the entire roof was smooth. I took out the block sander and blocked the entire roof with 600 wet...doing one section at a time...not removing the primer just making it very very smooth and even.

When I was done I took and wiped down the entire roof with water...3times...you don't want to be spraying the 'dust' in...

Then I took a very thin piece of wood (paint sticks) and peeled back the top of the windshield rubber just a tad, wetted it with soap and water...enough to fit the wood in and to peel the rubber up without removing the windshield...I did this the entire length of the windshield...see the primary objective here is to get paint under the rubber if it is going to start to peel that is the point it will start!

Now I taped off the entire car...no overspray, I know I probably should have removed the sunroof...but I wasn't about to 'remove the headliner' to get to it...so I was just meticulous about the tape job on the sunroof making sure all the rubber was covered...and just the rubber.

Mixed the black according to recommendations on the spec sheet and sprayed 3 coats of black...waiting like 5-10 minutes between coats...Let it sit up for 45 minutes and went back...didn't like it - still had some 'tiger' stripes' so I applied 2 more coats...total of 5 coats of black. Waited the 45 minutes again and 'still' had some tiger stripping...I said this is what it will look like...I had enough of spraying at that point.

Waited one hour...could have started a little sooner but wanted to get it done...yet at the same time wanted to make sure the paint had set so I had a dilemma as to how long to wait before clearing...so 1 hour it was.

Mixed the clear according to spec sheets and sprayed 3 coats of clear over the entire project...rails too. The instant the clear hit the black all the 'tiger stripes' were gone. So I watched it shine shine shine as I applied clear.

Let it sit up overnight or about 16 hours total it was over 80F the whole time, removed the tape, and got ready for the color sand...

The paint was acceptable at this point, but the color sand brought out the shine... to make it mirror like.

CLEAN BUCKET - CLEAN WATER - NEW SANDPAPER

First I soaked 800, 1000 and 2000 for 20 minutes before starting color sand.

Took my 3M block and lightly sanded 800 in sections all over the roof...being careful not to 'miss' a spot. Once I was confident the clear 'bumps' were pretty smooth and ripples 'gone'... Wiped it down with fresh water and repeated the process again with 1000 and with 2000. a couple of things, keep the water clean, if you ever feel any grit at all get it off the surface and continue... This color sanding is not to 'remove the clear coat' its purpose is to make the clear coat perfectly smooth...don't worry you are putting scratches in the clear...but with 800, 1000 & 2000 in progression you are making that surface so level it is really going to 'shine'. So the roof was wiped down again with fresh clean water.

I took some 3M rubbing compound on a clean buffing pad and at about 1800 I went over the roof 'again' in sections...this makes it shine- shine - shine. after the whole roof was done...then I used some Meguiars show car glaze and went over the entire roof again...in sections...

While I like Meguiars products I decided to use some Zymol for my first 'coat' of protection, it is very gentle... it smells like suntan lotion, and will let it setup for about 2 weeks before I use my beloved NXT2.0 and Ultimate Quick Detailer on the surface...

That's it easy...

Last edited by Adrenalin540; 07-18-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Man you need aggressive kit/bumper, huge drop and some sick DEEp dish rims to pull this look off.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Adrenalin540
1st Gear Newbie

Bumpers...Wheels?

Ya...eventually I'll upgrade the Wheels, and maybe the bumper...some of the replica ///M bumpers look 'horrid' IMHO...so I'll have to find one that suits my taste...for the time being this $17 in paint and ? In the rest of the materials isn't a bad upgrade...

But when I upgrade the wheels I seriously doubt I'll drop it...this puppy already has M-Tech Suspension with ///M5 swaybars and I love the way it corners...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: