Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
sexybmr
sweedish chef

aftermarket seats

Guys ,

As more and more people ditch thier stock seats and go to racig seats, I have one question.

It is my understanding that racing seats will not square the driver to the wheel. I know that the factory seats are set off center on the brackets to correct this but I haven't come across an aftermarket set that does.

any ideas, suggestions? Have some you want to sell?

Cheers,
MB
sexybmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I'm running a Sparco Torino II with a Wedge Engineering mount. It offsets the seat towards the tunnel, and seems to me, to be in the proper position. Wedge makes a nice product... I'd recommend them.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Spoose
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybmr View Post
Guys ,
It is my understanding that racing seats will not square the driver to the wheel. I know that the factory seats are set off center on the brackets to correct this but I haven't come across an aftermarket set that does.
It is not the seat that needs to be offset, it is the mount for the seat. There are three parts to an aftermarket seat, the actual seat, the rails underneath to move froward and back and then the mounts, from the car to the seat rails. Each car's mounting points are different so you need the right mount for the right car. For the E36, the mount offsets the seat towards the tunnel. I actually got my seat mounts made for me by someone and they are going to make me another set in high grade aluminum for lightness and strength. Costs about $150 for the pair, much better than the $160 each from Sparco made from steel.

pm me if you are interested in seats, I know a place you might be able to get some at a good price.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
question. If you're putting race seats in your car, why not mount them, without sliders, exactly where you're going to sit? If your car is a track car, how many other people are gonna drive it?

save even more weight, harness will always be correctly adjusted, etc.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
sexybmr
sweedish chef

true if your only application is track.

I do appologize, I was more so refering to racing style seats ie reclining or folding seats, sorry for being vauge.

mb
sexybmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Spoose
5th Gear Member

from what I have seen, fixed racing seats (non-reclining) rarely come with slider since they are meant to be mounted in a fixed position. sport or racing style (reclining) seats almost always come with slider for functionality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: