Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
DANE
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to DANE
Front Rotors

How Do U Know When U Need Rotors Is There Any Way Of Telling ,my Sterrin Week Shakes When I Apply The Brakes Is That One Way Of Telling
DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

That could be a number of problems.. My first guess is your rotor's are warped, so when you hit the brakes it cause the car to shake. If your pads are done then your brake sensor would come on inside the car(that's if it is hooked up and the fuse and bulb work).

If not then it could be other things, ball joints etc.. loose lugnuts.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

I have the same problem. You feel it most braking at highway speeds. Sometimes even when approaching a stop sign. It kinds of pulses to a stop. I don't understand why this is happening. My rotors are pretty new. I did full front brake job in the summer. Zimmermann rotors with Jurid pads. I had the same setup before the brake job and they lasted me almost 35,000km. It was the first time I did my brakes on my own and I'm pretty sure that I did everything correctly. Rotors aren't directional are they? I also got my mechanic to check it out before winter and he changed a driverside lower ball joint. But this warped braking persists.
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Usually Warped Rotors are caused by too much heat IE: Hard braking all the time, riding the brakes.. etc.. But 35,000Km on brakes is horrible IMHO.. I've owned my car for 5 years and put on about 70,000KM since I bought it and I only changed the back brakes once, cause the pads were beyond finished. The fronts are still the ones the previous owner put on... And the rule for brakes is 2:1, every 2nd time you do your fronts you do your rears.

I believe that some Rotors are directional but not 100% sure.

If it is heat, you might want to check your wheel baring to make sure that it turns good, if not it can cause everything to heat up.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

sometimes when your caliper is rusted it can cause warping, even when you change your rotors. I think mine have this problem and i may have to sand them down and repaint them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: