Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Tooms22
New Z3!

Z3 stereo

What are some good replacements for the stock speakers. Speaker size is 5.25' I understand. Thanks.
Tooms22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

All depends on budget............ as there's a lot of gear available........... and a lot of crap as well. I've always been of the opinion that BMW owners should be using replacement gear that's on par with their cars. There's a ton of gear out there that sounds like crap........ or sounds ok when installed but after a few weeks of playing, completely fall apart. You get what you pay for.

A set I've used with great results is the DLS UP series from Sweden, but it's not a dirty cheap set like you'd find in a big box store. Other sets that are nice, but you have to have the room for the motor structure are the Morels........ and maybe the Dynaudios or Macrom.

Cheers.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Tooms22
New Z3!

re: Z3 replacement speakers

I've heard of many guys going with MB QUART aswell. As far as I know, these are high quality speakers aswell.

Should I be looking at RMS power or MAX WATTAGE. Being a convertible, I want to be able to hear it on the highway. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Tooms22
New Z3!

re: Z3 replacement speakers

I've heard of many guys going with MB QUART aswell. As far as I know, these are high quality speakers.

Should I be looking at RMS power or MAX WATTAGE. Being a convertible, I want to be able to hear it on the highway. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Go with something really efficient (ie not some HUGE motor structure *magnet*). Factory head unit ???
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Tooms22
New Z3!

Z3 stereo upgrade

thanks for all the feedback guys
Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Tooms22
New Z3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Go with something really efficient (ie not some HUGE motor structure *magnet*). Factory head unit ???
I bellieve the head unit is factory. As it's a 97, I'm told it's "old" and could use an upgrade(both desck and speakers) I'm picking the car up in a couple weeks, I'm trying to get some insight from you BMW guys on what works best.

Dumb question - Does an "efficient speaker" have a smaller magnet? How do I identify and efficient speaker? and does the smaller magnet produce less power?

Being a convertible, I'm looking for nice, clean, crisp sound on the highway without having to turn up the volume to max. I'll probably change the head unit to an MP3 or USB deck with an 8' sub aswell.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
JazzM
6th Gear Member

The biggest difference you'll notice is with a nice high quality head unit. My personal preference for that would be Alpine, but there are some other nice quality ones out there...

Do you have the HK package on your car? In terms of adding a sub, this company has a very nice and clean solution - http://www.z3bass.com/

You will also find writeups and examples on that website of what other people have done. Space is the biggest limitation with these cars.

T.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
elroy
2nd Gear Member

just keep in mind the aftermarket speakers WILL have to be amped as they'll be rated for much higher power than what your deck puts out. If their connected straight to the deck, theyll run yes, but youll be damaging them by underpowering them. Alpine makes very nice decks, had a secondhand one sold to me and i will admit its one powerful deck.
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: