View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

When I disturb the fuse box, 6 wires break and it no longer starts. I managed to get a replacement from someone parting out a car here. Best thing is that this solves ALL the electrical gremlins. All windows, door locks, mirrors, power seats. HVAC ...even the ABS light is off!

All this time, I have a heater blowing at the carpet from underneath to dry it out. I remove the plastic plugs on the floor to let the water out. I decide to polish the paint and vacuum the interior (besides the lifted carpet) to keep motivated.

I start taking a look at the brakes. they are toast and a half. Pads are OK though. One front wheel bearing has a lot of play, but it wasn't noisy - yeah dummy - I couldn't hear it over the exhaust noise!

I start the hunt for other missing/damaged bits and pieces including replacing the ugly headlights. I find a great deal for a silver Msport bumper... $170 on ebay. Local pickup in Stoney Creek!

I take out the exhaust manifold with integrated cats and get it welded at the machine shop I use for work. Only one stud breaks so I was lucky. BMW provides 4 tapped holes for each exhaust port, but only 2 are used. I drill a hole in the adjacent port in liew of the broken stud. Fortunately, my cousin works at BMW corporate so he got me some incredible prices for the manifold gaskets, brake rotors, wheel bearing etc.

While I wait for that stuff to arrive, it's time for some bodywork. The rust on the hatch looks bad, but when I start going at it, I realize I need to cut a lot of it off. The rear hatch wasn't working properly and the seller said they spent 5k trying to fix it, unsuccessfully. I sure hope that's an exaggeration because it took me 15 minutes to figure out that the metal under the switch is so soft, that the button is flexing and intermittently makes contact. The wiring aslo has some intermittent breaks. Not suprising according to what I read on the net. Here are some nasty pix for you... get barf bag ready.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door repair.jpg (46.2 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg rusty hatch.jpg (57.4 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by windwagen; 01-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote