View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #61
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Hey flav, so that was you who came in the other days..why didnt you say anything to me?

E36iS...I understand what you're trying to say, but what is the point of spending the shop's time (also the custome's money) when you know that 0 compression means that the cylinder is done. If a rebuild is neccessary, you dont just take out a piston and put the new one, the sleeves in the block need to be machined etc. You would machine all the cylinders while your doing it, unless you have money to spend.

Just for a rough figure, my intake valve bent and I was loosing compression and a brand new complete head cost me around 1800 with the port and polish, but if I were to replace 1 valve the labour costs would be the same..so why replace one, and wait for the rest to go...you might as well do it all while you're there.

Of course, I think charlie would have mentioned already...but if you're swapping out your engine you can upgrade to a vanos M50, which is better naturally aspirtated but if you are planning on FI then the non vanos block and head can take more of a beating due to the thicker cylinder walls, 10-1 compression and dual valve springs. Also the cams are a bit hotter for turbo applications, and if your a baller like me you can thrown in an OBD1 S52 and blow by all the stock M3's (even the euros ).

Flav, next time let me know when your commin by the shop..I aint feelin good today so I didnt go in, we have a huge thread and we never talked in person yet. Also a word of advice, if money has to be spent on your engine dont cheap out, the cheaper you go now..the more it might cost you later...this isnt like buying the headlights and stuff like that.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 01-12-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote