View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #98
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 6,008
So I spent the afternoon yesterday assembling the head:

Here is the workroom in the basement with parts scattered across the bench along with some of the mess left over from my brother who had just finished rebuilding his dirt bike motor...



First order of business (after giving everything a final wash and blow off with the compressor) was the valve stem seals. This is probably common knowledge, but I found that an 11mm socket with a long extension made it extremely simple to install the valve seals. The socket will hold onto the seal, even when you turn it upside down, and exert force evenly around the outer edge...



The long extension gives you a bit more room to push, and they push on pretty easily...



Once all the valve seals were installed the springs had to be installed. This part of the assembly actually went a lot smoother than I had anticipated once I figured out a good way to do it. The tricky part is installing the keepers and having them stay in place as you decompress the valve springs. My method which seemed to work well was as follows. Once I had the spring compressed I'd put a drop of oil on the keeper grooves of the valve stem. Then I'd put a drop of oil on the grooves of each keeper. Using a pair of needle nose pliers I'd place the keeper on the bottom side of the valve stem. Now if you have enough oil there, the surface tension should be strong enough to hold it in place. Then I'd rotate the keeper I just installed to the top side of the valve stem. Then using the pliers again I'd install the second keeper. Once both keepers were installed I'd rotate them so that the split was vertical just so that gravity wouldn't be pulling on one more than the other.



Then rather than releasing the cam lock on the spring compressor I'd decompress the spring by loosening the adjustable pad that's clamping against the valve head (red arrow). This allowed me to ensure that the keepers seated properly in the retainer before releasing the cam lock. I felt that this was a better method than just outright releasing the cam lock and hoping the keepers don't go shooting across the room.



So after not too long the springs were installed...



Then it was time to install the cam and rockers. As I mentioned back in the original post I'm using the IE HD rockers. Here is a comparison between OEM and the HD for those of you who aren't familiar with them...



As you can see where the adjustable eccentric is has been beefed up substantially...



A few more minutes gone by and voilĂ*! My first assembled head....



I spent today giving the old M20 it's last valve adjustment before it get's pulled so it's sounding nice and tight for auto-x next weekend. I also fiddled around with the turbo heap as it will be going on the road within a week!
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote