View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

8 Years of running snows

I've been running snow tires for about 8 years now. Here's what I've used and my comments; take them for what they are. I won't go back to running all-seasons in the winter.

For my old 97 BMW
Model: Michelin Arctic Alpine
Cost: Don't Remember (package deal)
Size: 205/55/16
Purchased: Dealer
Liked/Disliked: Loved them
Would Purchase Again?: Yes
Comments: These tires were amazing. They were quiet, offered sidewall stability and were good in the snow. I commute on the 401 and they worked well. They are pricey though. Great tire!!!!

For 2002 325i:
Model: Nordic Ice Trac
Cost: $245 (got them at dealer cost. 1/2 price each) Taxes in. Installed later.
Size: 205/55/16
Purchased: Canadian Tire
Liked/Disliked: Like Them
Using Tires This Winter: Yes
Comments: Even for the regular price, I really like them. At half off, I had nothing to loose and was pleasantly surprised. They are not as good as my Michelin Arctic Alpine's, but are still good. I only drove them the first year, and have stored the car since in the winter. The tires though were great in the deep snow and ice. On the 407, while cars were spinning into the ditch (3 in front of me), I was able to brake and continue going straight. They are quiet and offer fairly good sidewall strength for snow tires. Tread pattern is almost like the Michelin's. They are on sale right now! . With my recent reliability issues with my e46, I'm probably going to get a Lexus IS in the spring, so I'll be running the BMW with these tires this winter. Nordic Ice Trac

For 2003 Honda Accord
Model: Nordic Ice Trac
Cost: $363.40 (On Sale Price) Taxes In. Install elsewhere.
Size: 205/65-15
Purchased: Canadian Tire
Liked/Disliked: Like Them
Using Tires This Winter: Yes
Comments: I liked the tires so much from the e46 BMW, that I bought them for the Accord as well a year later. For the price, they are pretty good. One word of caution, they seem to be better on the rear wheel drive car than the front wheel drive car. That could be the car itself, or the stability control. Never got stuck with them. No issues with the tires. Nordic Ice Trac

For Winter Beaters [ 96 Grand Am ]
Model: Kumho KW11
Cost: $280.60 Taxes In. Installed. All 4.
Size: 195/65-15
Purchased: Cheap Thrills (Milton)
Liked/Disliked: Liked Somewhat
Using Tires This Winter: Got a 2001 Intrepid for the Winter. Will probably put the Kumho KW19 or the Nordic Ice Tracís again.
Comments: These were very cheap tires, but they were awesome for this car. I wouldn't put this model of tire on a BMW, but a front wheel drive cheap car, for sure! Last December, when we had tons of snow, where cars were getting stuck, I just kept plowing through the snow. Snow was flying off my headlights and hood, and the car would not get stuck. Even with the tires half buried in snow, the car was unstoppable. I even tried to get the car stuck, and still managed to get out. When it did snow, I would take the car out just to have some fun. Often, I would take back roads instead of regular streets because I wanted to stay away from other drivers; but I knew with caution, I had loads of traction.

2002 Oldsmobile
Model: Kumho KW11
Cost: Under $350 I think.
Size: 205/65-15
Purchased: Cheap Thrills (Milton)
Liked/Disliked: Liked Somewhat
Using Tires This Winter: No. Car is going away.
Comments: The same deal as above. These tires were so much better and safer than the factory Goodyear all seasons that came with the car.

I've used the same Kumho or similar tire on the following winter cars as well with good success over the past 4 years.
- 96 Accent
- 94 Honda Accord
- 89 Plymoth Accliam

Last edited by dtthiaga; 10-22-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Format Issues
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote