Plastic Headlight Refinishing
well, my headlights are pretty foggy and yellowed over years.
And Today, I decided to clean it up.
Here is what I did...
Since U.S spec headlight we use, are plastic, I thought I might be
able to wet sand it and compound it. So I did.
I went to pacific mall and grab me a set of ultra super fine sandpapers and compund for modeling use. (Which is usually for
plastic models.) from TAMIYA.
The sand paper package contains, 2000, 3000, 4000 grit fine.
Normaly, you will never find these super ultra finish sand paper at these numbers.
Also grab me a compound from same brand.
First I start up with 2000 wet sanding my headlight. and gradually go up to 3000 and finish with 4000. (4000 feels like a
paper). Now I touch the lense and feel it, really smooth...
Now I go with compound rub the hell out of headlight.
its like brand new.. now, when I touch the lense, reallly smooth,
If you cant afford new headlight or ellipsoid like me, try this method. I thought it was the inside lense that was dirty but..
no, its outside shell thats dirty.
Try, and you will be amazed.
PROCEDURE (added from page 2)
1. SOAK THE SANDPAPER into a bucket of water at least 15 min prior to sanding.
2. Grab a water sprayer bottle. Put a little bit of automotive car wash soap and a lot of water.
3. now grab a sprayer on your left hand and sandpaper on your right. Start sanding and spray the mixture at the same time. Also always sand in same direction only.
4. start from lower grit say 1000. and go up to the highest grit.
5. now clean it up, then use scratchX to remove the sanding marks. The headlight must be hazed but scratchX will remove the marks so dont worry.
6. keep on doing it untill its squeeky clean and until you dont see any sanding marks.
7. now use plasticX to clean it up nicely.