View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #14
Rutger
1st Gear Newbie

This car is an STW car which was build by BMW Motorsport for an italian racing team in 1999. Is has competed in 2000 and was sold to privateers in 2001.

Is is now racing in a Dutch cup event which is called Dutch Supercar Challenge (www.supercarchallenge.nl)

The keyword for this car is balance. The car wheigs as less as 1000 kilograms without using carbon fiber for the doors or the roof. The engine is placed behind the front axle to optimize balance. Every single gram in this car is in the correct place. The cornering speeds of this car are extremely high. It's not very fast when accelerating but as soon as the car is on speed it just keeps going!

There are two engines for this car, a race engine which lasts 500 km's and an endurance engine which lasts 1500km.

Building costs of this car are 1 million dutch guilders ($ 400K). + parts!

Running costs are quite high as well :-)

I've got loads of pictures from this car. The owners of this car are always next to me in the pitbox when racing. I'll upload the pics and post the URL!

The reason for the high pitch of sound in the video is because of the gearbox used. A sequential gearbox has straight gearwheels instead of sharpened ones, this is why you hear them.

Enclosed is a picture of my onw racing car which has an M3 engine, but due to the balance I cannot compete with the STW by far! - You see the STW passing me as well on the video ...

Cheers

Rutger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01549.jpg (60.9 KB, 475 views)
Rutger is offline   Reply With Quote