View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #22
///Greco540
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mclaren55
I was told from someone that the 6 Speed sport packages came with a 3.15 rear diff. And that only the auto's and non sport packaged 6 speeds came with the 2.81. Either way, I am not big on increasing my gas consumption by that much more just to get a little more acceleration out of the car. Thanks for the tips though, like I said, I will most likely keep it stock and just save up my cash for this seasons racing budget.
Partially right. It was the late model 540iA (automatics) that came with 3.15 peglegs as opposed to early pre '01 I believe automatics that had 2.81's. All 6-speeds though retained the 2.81 throughout the E39 lifecycle.

Gas consumption is not that much more noticeable with the 3.15. It's really not that much of a ratio change as opposed to a 3.46 yet with the 3.15 either LSD or quaiffe atb you will feel like the car is supercharged.
Mods: M5 Grill, CDV, AE Xenons, Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shifter w/ WSR, Rogue Engineering Performance Transmission Mounts, Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid, Gruppe M Filter Ram Charger

My Car Site
///Greco540 is offline   Reply With Quote