View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 06:26 AM   #1
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Can you "heel toe" downshift?

I was reading the Bondurant High Performance driving book I got for christmas, and it says that downshifting should not be used for the purposes of slowing down the car (engine braking)- as the downshift will upset the balance. OK.
So, to remedy this, a proper downshift should be using the heel-toe technique. Using the right foot to brake while rev-matching the throttle to the downshift.
I tried this today- and it's EXTREMELY difficult! For me, it's near impossible for me to lift my heel of the floor without my leg bumping into the steering wheel (they are non-adjustable on TI's), and I have to painfully twist my thigh to put my foot on both pedals. If I do somehow manage to get my foot on both pedals, I wouldn't be able to brake hard enough, or I would shoot the RPMs to 5000.

Anyone got some tips on how to pull it off? The photos in the book demonstrate the technique with a car that has a small top hinged gas pedal, and the person is pressing the brake with the ball of the foot, and has the side of the foot on a very small portion of the lower left of the gas pedal. BM pedals and huge, bottom hinged, and span from the floor to the dash.