Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd1
No you're just arrogant.
I know, thank you.

Quote:
I don't run one (an a/f guage), I know my car runs a lot richer than the prescribed stoychiometric ratio number of 14.7 lbs of air to 1 lb of fuel. My car probably runs in the neighborhood of 13.2 lbs of air to 1 lb of fuel.
So you are aware of your poor tuning without a gauge and you are satisfied with it? Gotcha.

Quote:
I will say this though, the car is responsive from 2200 rpms through the entire powerband. I have raced an e36 m50 that had a chip, and beat em, raced an e46 325i stock and beat em, raced an e46 330i and was able to keep up with em.
Means nothing. It's all a driver's race. Show me some dyno numbers. I was just keeping up with a 328is on the highway, but I'm not going to say anything about making nearly as much power.

Quote:
The m20b25 motor is a keeper for me. It is easy to work on and fairly simple to modify, as long as you stay n/a.
Yes, very easy to work on. I love that fact. Simple to modify, but not very effective. Although FI seems complicated, it really isn't. And it's the only way you're going to crack 200hp with an M20 design.

Quote:
The chassis is also a lot lighter than an e36.
I thought we were talking about engines.

Quote:
As far as doing the conversion to an e36 motor, it is too time consuming for me. Yes you can bolt on a lot of horse power, but it can be very expensive.
I like to do things once, and do them right. If I know there isn't much headroom for tuning with the M20, then I'm not going to waste any time on it. The 12-valve design and ancient engine management are going to hold you back. If you add up everything on your car you could probably have a much more reliable and more importantly, lower mileage M50 under your hood. Fresh start, whole new level of tuning.

Quote:
Also, it will probably add 200-250 lbs to the front end of your car.
It is 19kg heavier. That is 41.8lbs.

Quote:
To me it would be a lot more feasible to acquire an evo 3.2 liter crank and build a high performance or supercharged m20.
I had no idea an S52 crank could mate to an M20 engine. But hey, we all learn new things.

Quote:
I may not get 300hp @ the wheels, but do I really need it? No, the car is my daily driver/weekend car.
300 at the wheels? Nah, I just wanted a 200hp crank daily driven inline-6, with lots of torque and solid reliability. The M50 will provide that and more.

/me hangs up the mic.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote