View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 01:37 AM   #21
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gates
mk,

if u want to choose between the SD100 and A70, i'd say it depends what your looking for. if its size, then the SD100 is best.

also:

SD100 is 2x Optical Zoom
A70 is 3x Optical Zoom
(don't worry about digital Zoom, it's useless) unless u want pixelated pics.

SD100: has no Manual Focus
A70: does

SD100: proprietary battery (expensive)
A70: (4 x AA) easier to come by

SD100: cannot accept Wide/Tele Lens
A70: optional

Recording Media
SD100: SD, 256 @ $114
A70: CF (Compact Flash), 256 @ $85

Aperature Range
SD100: f/2.8-3.9
A70: f/2.8-4.9

Since the A70 has a smaller aperature of 4.9 (smaller is the higher number) means it will allow you to use a slow shutter speed on a bright sunny day. slow shutter speed allows you to depict motion.

Another advantage of the 4.9 vs 3.9 is the increased DOF (depth-of-field). it will allow you to take landscape pictures where the foreground and background will be more in focus.

The only advantage the SD100 has is its portable size. other than that, i would lean towards the A70.

the A70 may seem ugly, but i've held it and its very comfortable to hold. feels like a camera. the battery holder that forms the mold gives your hand a nice place to grip.

hope this helps....
Thanks for this write up. Now, are these differences very significant? I mean, I am going to be using this camera for pics/vids of my car and for pictures of family and friends. Im not really an expert and so these differences may not be that significant for me.

The reason I am leaning towards the SD100, because of the SD cards (I already have one at home from my old digicam), and I would rather have a rechargable battery, than rechargable AA batteries that I would have to buy.

I know someone who has the S230 (basically same as the SD100) and he said it was a great camera, except for the zoom. But that is the only thing he complained about.