View Single Post
Old 05-14-2002, 01:26 PM   #28
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

Might as well add to the discussion. I am a father of two wonderful step kids and I have in- fact bought my 15 yr old son, a car....a 1988 Toyota MR2 that although is certified does require some work. Aside from Birthday and Christmas gifts, everything that will be done to this car, will be from his pocket. The thought behind getting him this car was well thought out by myself and my wife ( or so we think).

Aside from being a stylish 1st car(that he likes), it is easy on gas, easy to work on, parts are not to hard to find, it will never be a car to drive his friends around hells half-acre(there are only two seats), teaches him the value of money, he enjoys cars and gets excited about working on the car with me, he likely won't ever have sex in it (very small car remember), and once he gets his G2, will save us having to drive him and his sister everywhere.

Did we spoil him? Who cares, we had the money, I know he appreciates all he has and it keeps him busy, much like the horseback riding we have had our daughter enrolled in for the last 2 years.

I believe you always want the best for your kids and at the same time want them to learn and experience life for themselves, parents are there for guidance and support...unfortunately many parents take the idea of support much too far, and what ends up happening are you get a young adult who expects life to be handed to them.

My 2 cents for today.
Mark
91 318is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr2side.jpg (13.3 KB, 73 views)
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote