View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Yes, that's true. I'll say one thing for the Mustang guys; they certainly take a difficult car to drive on the track, and make it perform well. Some bizarre (by BMW standards) suspension setups are required to handle that thing. 1000 lb springs in the front, 280 lbs in the rear. Almost opposite from what I'm doing...

Now, onto the important part of the equation, and that's the driver. A *good* driver can make ANY car fast; just look at Peter in his Hyundai at the track....

Rob did *ok* for his first time out, and it's good that he came. Plenty of guys buy very fast cars, and NEVER take an advanced driving school...at least he's done that much.

A couple of words of advice Rob....

One, your car is too stiffly sprung at the moment. You don't have the tires or the skills to handle it, and it's getting you into trouble. On Sunday, the *red mist* got ahold of you in the last session, and fishtailing all the way down corner 2 is a dangerous thing to do. Always, always, always listen to what your instructor is telling you... Your car was VERY close to being a write-off; good luck and good instruction prevented you from being towed home on a flatbed.

Two, you NEED to get the notion of *racing* out of your head. You'll never learn anything while you're attempting to keep up with the guy in front of you, or while trying to lose the guy behind you. You've been to one driving school; you're a C class student, and will be so for a few more driving schools. Relax a little; nobody goes from C to A in only a few schools. Use the opportunity to learn as much as you can. So what if somebody passes you? Maybe he's a C student who's on his 4th or 5th school, and should be a B student instead. It's not a race, there is no trophy at the end of it. This is what got you into trouble in the example above.

Three, lose the ego. Yes, you're young, and have a great car. However, you'll NEVER be fast on the race track with an ego preventing you from learning HOW to be fast. Remember, I started where you are now, three years ago (with the BMW Club anyway). I was slow, I hated to let people pass me, but until you realize that there are faster cars and faster drivers, and learn to forget about them, then you'll never be fast.

Always remember to not only listen to your instructor, but to pay attention to him. This includes Rolf and the other guys running the exercises. At the exercises is where you learn car control at safe speeds; that learning directly applies to what you're doing at the track.

Rob, what you're going through is the same thing everybody else is going through. You weren't as good as you *thought* you were going into the school, and could be a little discouraged by it. Your next school, you'll see the progress you'll be making, and by your third school, you'll be hooked.

Trust me, keep attending as many driving schools as you can; and particularly go to some of the Raven days at TMSP (Cayuga). Get enough schools under your belt, and you'll soon be fast, and running in the B group and eventually the A group.

Save your *mod* money for schools, and once you're an A student, then start spending some money to improve the performance of your car. One thing happens to students who spend endless amounts of money as a C or B student to improve their car; they end up with very fast cars with very poor skills to handle that car. Inevitably, they have an *off*. Unfortunately, because the car is so fast, and the driver unskilled, the *off* tends to be ugly, expensive, and potentially harmful. This past weekend, you nearly had 2 *offs* in arguably the most notorious corner in North America, and that's only as a C student.

Relax, even on the track, you need to slow down to learn something...

Pat

Last edited by GR8 Ride; 04-22-2002 at 11:27 AM.
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote