Thread: budget paint
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
what if i remove the trim and mask everything off my self i can do most of the work my self and they would have to do it sand it down and re paint it.
also what if i get one of those corrective pens would i be able to rectify all the stone chips and scratches ?
This is what I did with my old M5, I removed everything I wanted to remove and dropped off the car ready to be sanded/imperfections fixed/painted. I saved myself about 1-1500$ by doing that. The shop that did it was RS auto in etobicoke, I can't say the job was 100%% but for the amount I paid I was more than happy with the result, in fact, I am going to go see him about painting my front bumper (it will be full of stone chips in one summer time anyway). Now that I am more handy with a proper polisher, many of the imperfections left by even the greatest body shops, can be corrected with some wet sanding and cutting/polishing.
Just some 2 cents.

Deep scratches with a paint touch up are possible, fill it, let it dry, wet sand it gently and then cut/polish.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. '01 Exterior Upgrades; E60 SSK
Toys'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote