View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
BMW_M_POWER
E.A.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
I fully and respectfully disagree with regards to the setup being impractical.

1) If you need a bubbly tire to protect your rim from curb rash, then you probably shouldn't park so close to curbs to begin with.
2) False. I always ran OEM inflation specifications. Never had any issues due to tire pressures.
3) It's possible, but not all that probable. Unless of course it is a VERY extreme stretch that is put under stressful conditions, then yeah.
4) False.

I have had everything from 235/35/19 all the way to 275/30/19 on my old 9.5" wide wheels. Each setup (235, 245, 255, 265, and 275) was at some point thrashed without remorse on the track (mostly at TMP Cayuga). Not once did the tire size ever have a detrimental effect attributable to the stretch. I did burnouts, peel outs, drifts, anything and everything imaginable to stress the tires to their absolute limits and never experienced any failures or concerns whatsoever. Some might consider the 235 on a 9.5" to be an extreme stretch, or my 235 on a 10" - others may consider it mild. Depends where you fall on the spectrum. Regardless, the impracticality claims that are rampant online are purely based off wild conjecture and perpetuating hearsay than actual experience, even if anecdotal.

But, as I said before, to each his own.
When I initially made the comment I was referring to the "excessive stretch" as seen in the video and not aimed at anyone here in particular. The specifications you posted above are moderate and NOT excessive. JDM/VW stretching of tires on the other hand is impractical and senseless therefore falls under the four points I had listed above.

Below are the pictures of some retarded "stretch and poke" IMHO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0051-1.jpg (86.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01550-1.jpg (117.4 KB, 37 views)

BMW E46 330i ZHP, E36 Vert, E36 M3
BMW_M_POWER is online now   Reply With Quote