View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_iroc View Post
LOL
This thread will confuse more people, than help.

NOTORIOUS VR, You did not read my whole quote you just glanced at it lol ...... IF the 1998 vehicle has no OBD2 port IT MAY BE 2 SPEED IDLE TESTED. PLEASE re read
No it cannot! You stopped reading at the wrong part of that document... Look at at Section 9.0.1, 1998 cars and newer NEED to be able to plug into the OBD2 port and communicate. If they do not communicate it is an automatic fail. I've also spoken to licensed emissions testers about this.

Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is the fact that some cars are able to pass (2 speed idle) e test without certain emissions equipment (egr,a.i.r etc. When you go for a e test in Ontario there no visual inspection)
Yes that is true things like EGR and air pump will not cause you to fail a two speed. But lack of a catalytic converter most likely will without some ticks.

But again you are wrong again, the drive clean technician is supposed to to a visual inspection known as the "Pretest Check":

Quote:
And that is good enough to get you paper work for your sticker. BUT if you are stopped road side without these you will be fined. If you vehicle chassis year came with it (emission equipment)then it must be there or an equivalent , except the obd2 (IF YOU PUT A MOTOR THAT WONT SUPPORT IT). You can replace emission control systems, devices, or parts as long as the replacements do the equivalent job as the original.

I like howyou completely dismiss this link as open to interpretation, when it comes directly from the ministry site. The point is no OBD2 and it will still get tested.
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment..._098206.html#6
Listen, after some thought about it last night I can see the only way you would be able to run a car without emissions parts like in the example of the crate motor would be if you bought a crate motor from say Jegs or Summit.

Buying any other motor that is OEM you would have to fit the emissions testing equipment from THAT motor that was originally in place.

So that means if you put an S54 into an E36 you need to have cats, air pump, EGR, OBD2, etc, etc. If you put an S50 in your car you need to keep the air pump, EGR, cats but also KEEP OBD2 from your car.

There is currently no provision to test a 1998 or newer car without connecting to the OBD2 regardless of hot rod or not... If they cannot connect, you will FAIL. End of story. Putting in an older non compliant OBD2 motor does not let you remove it.

And again, putting an S50 will not make the car a hot rod since it was available in the E36 to begin with only in a different models.

Back to the crate motor thing, I would love to know how they define "Crate Motor" because theoretically, a crate motor starts with an OE block but has many variables changes like bore/stroke/head(s)/cam(s).

I wonder if building a motor to have different (combination of) cams/bore/stroke would be considered a "crate motor"

Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 03-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote