View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
simey_binker
1st Gear Newbie

Problems: Headlamps and Coolant.

yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm bringing up two issues that may lead to a barrage of "search newb" answers, but I need to narrow down the issue a little further:

#1, when I bought my 2002 325i wagon (a few months ago), I noticed that the headlamps were auto-levelling - they went through the test every morning. However, over the last few weeks they have both remained pointed far too low (no test in the morning). I've checked the sensor arm on the front passenger control arm (still fine), but not the rear yet. Any other clues as to what it could be?

#2, I do know that these cars have issues with the coolant system - mostly due to the plastic bits. After all that snow last friday (and a little revving on all-season tires), the coolant light came on. When the engine was luke-warm, I topped up the system until the float was in the correct location, with one bottle of water. a few days later, the light came back on, and when checking the level (both when the engine is warm, and dead cold), the float seems to be in the correct location. This morning I popped it open and it seemed to indicate low, but then after some gurgling, the float came up. I could be loosing coolant, and perhaps it's time for a radiator/expansion tank swap - but any ideas on this phantom issue with the float?

Anyone know a good dealer for aftermarket E46 coolant parts that don't suck?

thanks,
Sim

Last edited by simey_binker; 02-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
simey_binker is offline   Reply With Quote